QRP amp.. Which one???

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by K8TDN, Apr 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KC1BMD

KC1BMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Another amp to check out for the FT-817(ND) is the THP (Tokyo Hy-Power) HL-45B (5W max in, 45W out) which has auto band switching. It used to be sold through HRO and is out of production (THP unfortunately is out of business) but comes up for sale used every so often.

2. K6GB

K6GB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I use an MX-P50M with my Flex 1500 when 5W isn't doing the job, it's designed to interface with the FT-817 but it's easy to hook up.

3. N7MKA

N7MKA Ham Member QRZ Page

Got a HardRock 50. Working great! Plan to get a battery for it and haul it to my next SOTA hike.
    Marty
    N7MKA

4. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

This thread's topic is "QRP amp.. Which one???"

In keeping with the now long established definition of "QRP" - at least conversationally such as this forum - ie: 5 watts output, I suggest either the OP consider rewriting the topic to something like "QRO amp for QRP rigs.." or replies to the existing topic be limited to suggestions of QRP amps - you know ... 5 watts output max.

Hint: the Hardrock 50, Ten Tec 405, and their ilk are not QRP amps.

Yeah, yeah. Semantics. But you know what? Words and wording matter - even if it's 2017.

72/73,
    Jeff WN1MB
    http://alienjeff.net

5. K8TDN

K8TDN Ham Member QRZ Page

I guess from the recent post I need to get more specific. so...I am looking for an amp that I can use with a qrp radio to get more power...when QRP levels are now communicating.

I like QRP and portability of it but was wanting recommendations for AMPS when not doing QRP

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Good clarification...my first thought, based on the subject line, was that you were looking to go full gallon QRP, that is, 5 Watts.:D:D

73 de Vince, VA3VF

7. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've thought about the same thing. Would it make more sense to buy an amp for "base station" operations with my 817, or, just buy a QRO radio and thus have two rigs. I'm still on the fence, mainly because I can't find a rig with a built in tuner, internal battery, and built in sound card.

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Finances permitting, nothing beats having separate/dedicated setups. I would go base, portable, and QRP.

73 de Vince, VA3VF

KO4LZ likes this.
  9. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Why not just buy a QRO rig you can turn down the RF output to 5 watts or maybe less using an attenuator.
    Far less expense, smaller pkg, all mode, FT857 vy small.
    Ask the man who owns one.

10. SM0XHJ

SM0XHJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I would go with a dedicated QRO rig. QRP rigs have their limits, at least physical limits like small display and small buttons. Also keep in mind that many QRP rigs can be quite "dirty" on TX (IMD products and side band noise). IMD products of -20 dBc might be ok at 5 W PEP, but not when fed through a 100 W amplifier...
    (Yes, there are exceptions to this, both the FT-817 and KX3 are, if not good, at least decent.)