QRP amp.. Which one???

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by K8TDN, Apr 6, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8TDN

K8TDN Subscriber QRZ Page

I have several radio brands ICOM 703.. Yaesu..ft-817.would like to purchase one that I can use for both and wanted input from actual users

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

A good quality amp to get is the Elecraft 100 watts amp.
    The Hardrock 50 is another great little amp but it's in kind of a kit form. Not everybody wants to put kits together.
    If you want big power, the Acom 600S solid state amp would be great. With 5 watts in
    you should be able to get around 400 watts +/- out.
    What I would do is stay away from these Chinese amps off of Flea Bay.

Barry

Last edited: Apr 6, 2017
    K8TDN likes this.
  3. OH2FFY

OH2FFY Ham Member QRZ Page

The best amp , , , works in receive as well.

[​IMG]

gregW:) OH2FFY

KD8EDC, KC1BOO, KO4LZ and 5 others like this.
  4. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

Consider a used TenTec 405 QRP amp. They show up on auction sites once every couple of months and usually go for between $350- $400. They use RF sensing rather than dealing with amp cable wiring which makes hookup and use with any type of rig very simple.

5. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm happy with my Hardrock-50. Less than two watts in gives 50W out. It can be switched using RF sensing (COR) so that the only cable between the radio and the amp is the coax. Or, for a bit faster switching, if your radio produces a PTT signal, the amp can use that. You can select the band manually, or with some radios (Elecraft KX2, KX3, Yaesu FT-817) the radio can talk to the amp and tell it which band filter to use. Mine has the optional antenna tuning unit and QSK switching. Both options work very well. The amp is very robustly built, with a huge heatsink that doesn't get very warm in use. It is a kit, and probably not an ideal first kit, but not particularly difficult for someone with a bit of experience.

K8TDN likes this.
  6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

QRP and having an amplifier are somewhat at odds with each other !:eek:

K4VLF, NN4RH, W7UUU and 6 others like this.
  7. WO9B

WO9B Ham Member QRZ Page

;) Well that's just wrong!! :)
    Using the HR-50 with my Flex 1500 has been a real joy. Particularly for SSB, the power increase makes for nice QSO's. The additional power also makes for a very nice digital mode experience. Sometimes, having a few more dB's available is just the ticket.

KU3X and N8DAH like this.
  8. N8DAH

N8DAH Ham Member QRZ Page

Got a Hardrock 50 at a swap last year great little amp when qrp levels are just not cutting it.

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've always felt that the ability to listen was just as important as being heard. For that reason amplifiers have not been that important to me. Never owned one. I won't say I never will...but I'm not convinced as yet.

N0VGL and W6FYK like this.
  10. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

I own amps and sometimes use them in the shack, but I don't drag them around outside when operating QRP.

For one thing they suck up a lot of battery power which would limit your operating time and secondly I prefer to travel light and avoid using a forklift to carry my QRP equipment, amps, big battery around.

I think you would be surprised how well an FT-817 can do even without using an amplifier. I have contacts in Australia, New Zealand, Africa, South America, Europe and everywhere using 5 watts and a portable QRP antenna setup.

I find a decently constructed portable QRP antenna is a much better investment than an amplifier, and they will do more good for your signal than any amplifier will ever do. Besides, antenna's don't require any battery power to operate them either.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    KD8EDC, KG5BJV, KO4LZ and 4 others like this.