ad: w5yi

QRM solarpanel / Inverters

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by PA2DRE, Jul 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. PA2DRE

PA2DRE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep its a known thing, nowadays in the Netherlands we do have some goverment regulations the supplier should stck to. So as a customer you can set some pressure towards the supplier in dealing with the issue. My supplier has solved an issue at another system where an HAM lived, in a small town not far from my qth, this was solved as should so I still have hope it will be solved. Now the best thing to do for me if I want to do some DXíng in dylight is switch it off all qrm is gone then...

K0UO likes this.
  2. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

You make statements about knowing , testing , engineers etc.
    But then give no info on any product ???

3. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There's tens of thousands of products out there now, we tested several hundred of them, different manufacturers and products so I'm not going to give an explanation on every one.
    The statement I made "you're lucky if you get one out of ten that doesn't have an issue" should give you an idea of the problems that these units create and remember there's no "magic fix", like hanging a toroid or special box on them.
    Most amateurs that's been on HF in the last 10 years has probably had some experience with one of these devices, especially if your mobile, are in a green community, or have an RV.

4. KD0CAC

Just asking for ONE or two that is not RFI noisy ?

5. K0UO

That's really the problem
    It is debatable even on some identical units one may be noisy and one maybe not and both have been tested, supposedly because have a lab stamp on them, for certification. Basically they sent a unit to the lab and had it tested and they may make 10,000 identical units based off of that but the components are of different standards
    We're under the opinion that any of them could be noisy based on the components manufacturer that they used to build them. When they put Chinese components in them that they're buying in various lots, things changed considerably, like I said buyer beware.
    And I'm not blaming the manufacturer's most all electronic components are coming from China and we know that they different quality components that are identical looking

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  6. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like big buts, I cannot lie

(sorry, it had to be said)

PA2DRE and K0UO like this.
  7. KD0CAC

K0UO , you must be talking about chineeze junk .
    Amazon etc. 400 watt for $100 as an example , even 3,000 watt $400 units are barely usable - will not start many motors extra .
    Quality inverters are not going to vary as you mention .

8. EA3IFN

EA3IFN Ham Member QRZ Page

That's the big challenge around the certifications: You can make a good design to control EMI but is difficult to insure that the next product batch is using exactly the same components related to the RFI. I've been involved in electronics design and in the RFI area to pass certifications and, despite specifying which components MUST NOT be vendor changed, it is quite difficult to track, mainly if one is using a "far away" subcontracted manufacturer that tries to reduce cost changing component vendors.
    I assume that RFI control is not in the chinesse technical mind.

PA2DRE likes this.
  9. PA2DRE

PA2DRE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well if you see the amount of communication equipment, and a lot of othre electronics btw, coming from china you might expect some experience in that area. But ptobably this is also money driven, we like to have things cheap, vendors also, and there lies the root of a lot of things. I sure they can come up with a soloution ro make it RFI free but what will the cost be..

10. K0UO

You're definitely wrong, when we did the testing our group thought the same thing.

Even the high-end controllers like the one used for the 6000 amp panel in Breckenridge Co down the road from me, and units from quality manufacturers like Xantrex and others are plagued with the same parts problem coming out of China.