QRM on 80m band

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by CT2FZI, Apr 29, 2021 at 1:44 PM.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. CT2FZI

CT2FZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello team,

With the TinySA I have excluded my QTH [apartment in a building] from the source of this QRM, but not the neighbouring apartments:

Mains power off, only have this QRM detected when using an W3DZZ dipole _and_ a Vertical GAP Titan DX, not sharing the coaxial cable.

With that in mind, where should I start looking? Maybe you already saw it and you can point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance!

Luís, CT2FZI

2. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

It could be coming from ANY piece of equipment in your neighbours' homes . . .

Do you have a small AM portable radio? Can you hear this same noise on that, at the top of the MW band, when you are not tuned into a station?

If so, try going around with that to find where the noise is coming from. The internal Ferrite Rod antenna is very directional - if you can rotate the radio to null out the noise, in line with it is the direction of the noise source. (So take 2 bearings, and you have the location!)

Roger G3YRO

CT2FZI likes this.
  3. CT2FZI

CT2FZI Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply and headsup, I will do as you suggested... Hopefully I will have some conclusions!

Cheers!