QEX to become accessible in digital form to all League members as a benefit?

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by K4KYV, Dec 14, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

The best (tentative) news I have heard from the League in a long time, from the digital edition of QST just released to-day:
    CEO Howard Michael announced in his monthly editorial page (p.9) that starting in early 2020, QEX (and NCJ) will be offered in digital form to all, as a member benefit. However, he doesn't make it perfectly clear whether this decision has already been made, or if it is a recommended proposal that must be approved by the Board.

I would hope that like QST, back issues will be opened up to members on line.

2. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

That would be a positive move, but I don't think I'm going to hold my breath on this one. Because after their Bean count-ers find out about it, the League will shut it down!

3. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What a great thing... Can't wait.

4. WB2CAU

WB2CAU Ham Member QRZ Page

That is great news, if it actually happens. I just might re-join The League after decades of abstinence.

5. AC0OB

AC0OB Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here as the reason I had originally joined (but later dropped) was to get QEX, but they charged extra for QEX. I only wanted QEX and not QST because I felt QST was just an advertising venue and the technical articles were simplistic.

I also felt they should give members a choice of either receiving QEX or QST.

Pheel

Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  6. K4KYV

QST has become more like the old rookie-oriented Ham Radio Horizons, sister publication to (now defunct) Ham Radio magazine. The League just announced that they are to publish a new beginner's rag, and that members will have the choice between that and QST. Remains to be seen if that means QST will become more technical/construction oriented. People still complain that the post-QEX QST is "too technical".

Those who really got ripped off when QEX appeared and in-depth technical and construction articles started being pigeon-holed there, are life members who signed up assuming they would be getting the best of the League's technical and construction data for the rest of their lives. Then QEX appeared, and to continue receiving those articles, they had to subscribe and pay extra for an additional publication, while QST become filled more with fluff and human-interest drivel and less with technical correspondence and construction information.

WZ5Q likes this.
  7. W8KHK

W8KHK Ham Member QRZ Page

If they do make QEX available online, I hope they make it available as a PDF so the user may download the entire issue and browse at will, and print any desired pages.

But I would expect they would only offer it with that abortion user interface they call Digital QST. That thing is a royal PITA to navigate, does not utilize the available screen real-estate, and it is often necessary to zoom in and out just to read the columns of text. Why they cannot offer the QST as a single PDF I do not know. Maybe worried that someone might print or improperly share their precious color advertisements?

K6CLS likes this.
  8. K4KYV

Plus, as soon as you turn a page you have to go back to the above-screen settings and enlarge the text once again to make it readable size, and re-adjust it again for each page flip. Although I have never tried it, I assume you can save a page by printing it. I have a program on my computer (which I haven't used for a long time) that will turn whatever is on the screen that you want to print into a PDF file instead of printing it out on the printer.

9. W1BR

W1BR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unfortunately, QEX is a shadow of what it once was. Technical journals don't seem to have much support in the ham community. I still miss Ham Radio Mag.

10. K4KYV

Could a typical modern-day ham station offer a clue about why?

AD5HR likes this.