ad: Schulman-1

QDX Build Vlog Part 1

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Feb 5, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

The latest radio kit from Hans over at QRP-Labs, this is a whole new twist on how to FT8 with a radio. Come and follow along on the build!

M1WML, N5AQM, G3SEA and 6 others like this.
  2. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Built the V1.0 a few months back and it worked perfectly right out of the gate! 4W or better on all bands and have not touched anything since the build. Just been running the crap out of it on both FT8 at full power and WSPR bandhopping 20 thru 80M at 1W on an OCFD Dipole. I have worked and been spotted all over the planet with this little Gem. It plays very well with WSJT-x.

I agree the rubber feet on the QCX Mini leave a bit to be desired but you will want them for the QDX because you won't be tilting it up to see a display.

I am a huge fan of QRP Labs stuff. Will buy another one when they become available....

-Mike

VA3ERW, M1WML, AA5BK and 1 other person like this.
  3. WU3U

WU3U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Been running a v2.0 for about a month or so now. Great fun to build and a real workhorse. Not sure how many QSO’s I have with mine but it’s a lot. The QDX’s BS170 finals are not very forgiving in this application so if your using one of these it’s a good idea to use a resonate antenna for the bands that you are operating on. If you are going to use a tuner be sure that it’s a manual tuner with a built in SWR bridge or buy and build the QRP Guys SWR bridge to keep the SWR at 2:1 or better while tuning with an auto tuner. https://qrpguys.com/tuning-indicator

Curt
    WU3U

M1WML, N5AQM and KM9G like this.
  4. DO1FER

DO1FER Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice kit and introduction how to assemble the parts of it. For beginners this or that can be hard, here especially how to wind the wire around the cores and how to solder (the wire is covered with enemal). For people how knows it, its easy to say thats all no problem. But with a bit of patience it will work to avoid the traps by beginners too. The kit itself is really remarkable, so follow the further link.

HK2AQ, NR2C, M1WML and 2 others like this.
  5. G3SEA

G3SEA Ham Member QRZ Page

That is truly a very ingenious and inexpensive little FT8 Rig. :cool:
    G3SEA/KH6

M1WML and N5AQM like this.
  6. PE1OUW

PE1OUW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was lucky enough to get myself a 'Mark II' around X-mas and I got it built in no-time. Works a treat. Highly recommended!

M1WML and N5AQM like this.
  7. M1WML

M1WML Ham Member QRZ Page

8. N5AQM

N5AQM Ham Member QRZ Page

Looking forward to Steve's build finish and powerup!

-Mike