ad: CQMM-1

QCX Mini - Fitting the Controls Board

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by KM9G, Jun 9, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

In this one we fit all the controls on and get them working. Check it out.

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

"All" two controls. My, my. That's quite the feat! :confused:

Guess there isn't an assembly manual for the QCX Mini. Oh wait. Yes there is, and 121 pages worth at that.

G7DAZ, W1LJ, K0UO and 1 other person like this.
  3. WN2C

WN2C Ham Member QRZ Page

What's a QCX mini?

K0UO likes this.
  4. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Its a 5w QRP rig that you build yourself. Super fun kit to build!

KC7ZXY likes this.
  5. VK7HH

VK7HH Ham Member QRZ Page

Here he is... at it again

KC7ZXY likes this.
  6. KM9G

KM9G Ham Member QRZ Page

Gotta get this thing finished!

KC7ZXY and VK7HH like this.
  7. K9NUD

K9NUD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I built a QCX Mini a few weeks ago (20M). Awesome little rig. I use it at home, mobile, and for POTA. I'm activating some parks today, and it will be my go-to for 20M. The only hassle is the lack of AGC. You can get your ears blown off with a strong signal! I will use an external amplified speaker today. You also need a tuner, unless you have a resonant antenna. I just built a ZM-2 this week that'll do the job nicely.

KC7ZXY likes this.
  8. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi there. I would advice to get yourself a mini disc cutter to slice through unwanted projections on pcb's. You can very easily crack the board and brake the foil forcing pieces away. Overhaul they are needed when cutting out any pieces of circuit board. You should be able to pick something from any hobby shop not too expensive . Normally 12 volt DC powered. Mine is Mains powered. made by Black and Decker. It is not much larger than the 12volt ones but is a lot more powerful. Not only is it a cutting /grinding and polishing tool but also a handy little drill for the 1 mm bits,which are too small to use in a hand operated 18/24volt drill. Best of luck with your construction. It is a great feeling to have a working radio that you have made yourself. 73 de John - G0WXU.

KM9G and WN1MB like this.