qcx 40

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by BD5QCE, Sep 27, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. BD5QCE

BD5QCE Ham Member QRZ Page

8V 1.8w
    10v 2.5w
    12v 4w
    RX current 85 mA
    TX Maximum current 500 mA
    I have finished! I am very happy

WW2PT, WD3N, W7UUU and 2 others like this.
  2. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

Hooray!

Always fun to complete a kit and have it work right off the bat.

Congrats!

3. KF9VV

KF9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Congrats!

I was overjoyed when my QCX came to life. It has since operated in WI, IL. AL, MS, FL, GA, MN, SD, WY.

I've used it for everything from SKCC QSOs to competing in state QSO parties, and it was great in everything I've thrown at it. It really surprised me how well it held up in contest conditions. The receiver is outstanding.

4. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Nicely done! Fun project :)

Dave
    W7UUU

5. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the "RX current" with a signal with volume at max, or idle currnet. 85mA sounds like a lot of idle current !

K8AI likes this.
  6. N7EKU

N7EKU Ham Member QRZ Page

Well,

The manual says 140mA on receive at 13.8V. It has to run the LCD backlit display, SIS frequency synthesizer, and ATMega microcontroller, so it sounds about right. It ain't no SW40!

Mark.

7. BD5QCE

BD5QCE Ham Member QRZ Page

I dimmed the lights and the current went down

8. KI5CAW

KI5CAW Ham Member QRZ Page

I love my QCX's, one for 40 and one for 20! On 40 I've had many good QSOs, including Hawaii. On 20, exactly one QSO so far, during a short opening. The QCX experience inspired me to buy the Receiver and Polyphase modules from QRP Labs and turn them into a 455 kHz IF. Single signal reception without expensive crystal filters! Whoopee! You can still homebrew in 2019!

9. KI5FXG

KI5FXG Ham Member QRZ Page

Some of the biggest draws are the linear regulator, the op amps, and the LCD backlight. Some power saving mods address these.

I swapped in a little traco switching drop-in replacement for the lm7805 on mine, which should save me a chunk. I need to measure it to see how it came out...

K8AI likes this.