ad: elecraft

Q900 All Mode All Bands HF to 70cm Transceiver

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by M0DQW, Sep 16, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. AE7XG

AE7XG Ham Member QRZ Page

My Elmers swayed me away from new cheap radio's. Instead they steered me to older proven good radio's to start with. They also told me to research all radio's up for sale , new and old.

WD4IGX, WW0W, KD2ZRQ and 4 others like this.
  2. US7IGN

US7IGN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The processor in this radio is not used for signal processing, but as a microcontroller to control codecs, memory and screen.

NE3J and KR3DX like this.
  3. WF9Q

WF9Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you 100% sure about that?? USA is one of the few countries that actually has stringent guidelines regarding MADE IN USA, the others don't. If the item does not a have any identification as to country of origin you can pretty well assume where it came from.

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I can see how the Q-900 would make a decent portable station, 20 watts and fully software defined. I have not seen specs on it as far as receive bandwith options, or sensitivity, but for the price it might be OK. It is certainly less expensive than the IC-705, but I suspect the receiver is not as good.

5. US7IGN

Do you think Icom or Toyota will mark "made in Japan" on their products if it is not?

PY2NEA likes this.
  6. HB9DDS

HB9DDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You don't understand what "Made in ... " means.

7. HB9DDS

HB9DDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Instead of bashing a product that most don't even have, I do a lot of QSO with FT4/FT8 and SSB with low power. And it works. So my HS2 works very well with "modified" firmware.

KK6IPR likes this.
  8. PA0MHS

PA0MHS Ham Member QRZ Page

Que? The Cortex-M7F core (the one that's being used in this TX) dates from 2017 and is a really high performance core. I wouldn't call that exactly "so yesterday"...
    The fact that the Cortex-M was introduced 11 years ago doesn't mean it's an outdated technology in my opinion. A lot of new varieties are being introduced still.

KK6IPR, WB9YPA and KB1UYS like this.
  9. US7IGN

Last edited: Sep 16, 2022
    KK6IPR, KC7JNJ, PY2NEA and 1 other person like this.
  10. KB1UYS

KB1UYS Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm a retired embedded systems programmer and can verify that statement.

KK6IPR, WW0W, WB9YPA and 1 other person like this.
  11. PA0MHS

One thing I really like about this radio is how the waterfall is presented. All mainstream radios with a spectrum scope set to center mode show a slanted image when you turn the VFO to a different frequency, which makes is difficult to tune to a signal you see. This radio moves the entire waterfall image when you change frequency, which makes it much easier to "tune in" on a line on the waterfall. I really wish my Icom and Yaesu radios had this too.

BD3OLH, KK6IPR, KQ2N and 2 others like this.
  12. PA0MHS

I am an embedded system programmer too and I still use 8-bit AVR's... About to switch to ARM for a few applications.

KK6IPR and WB9YPA like this.
  13. KL7KN

KL7KN Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked up a basic operator's manual on a G1M -CORE. Fellow shipped it up to me.
    I've said more than once, if gifted a G1M (or any of the predecessors) I would give it away. IMO, literarily - not worth owing.

Ran HOT even in just RX mode.
    Zero factory support
    Well known problem with the key and mike jacks separating for the board.
    Flashing new software is a crapshoot on bricking the rig.

NO thanks.

I find it amusing that the OP shows V3 now has problems fixed. How many hams were the unpaid beta testers?

KR3DX likes this.
  14. US7IGN

As the owner of an ICOM IC-756pro3, I can ask the same )))

KK6IPR, W9FL, KR3DX and 1 other person like this.
  15. PY2NEA

PY2NEA Ham Member QRZ Page

Because there is no knob, only a keypad entry?
    Could very well be mistaken as a sturdy and reliable Debeg, Furuno, Sailor or whatever HF/MF Marine Transceiver, especially in the soaked picture :D

Oliver

KK6IPR and KR3DX like this.