ad: wmr-1

Q65 and LOTW

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KO4LZ, Feb 5, 2021.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi all,

My apologies if someone has already asked this, but anyone know if/when LOTW will support Q65 as a mode? Had my first two Q65 contacts on 2m today (!) but LOTW choked when I tried to upload them.

I know I could submit them as "DATA" but I think I would rather wait until it's supported natively.

73, de Paul KO4LZ

2. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

Just a hunch, but Candidate release: WSJT-X 2.4.0-rc1 is just that, a candidate release that will expire in April 2021.
    At this point, you would probably need to edit the adif file in wsjt (i.e) add lines for Q65.

I've noticed the same issue but won't play with the adif lines until 2.4.0 comes out of beta.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Check the latest ADIF Protocol to see if that mode is recognized. If not, LoTW and QRZ won't recognize it.

4. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul, what frequency for Q65? Was it easier to do than tropo FT8?

5. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was using 144.116 at the time, although there seem to be a number of people using other frequencies (.170, .120). I was able to easily work a station in EM74 that I can't normally / reliably work without without enhancement.

There's a German expression "Wer die Wahl hat, hat die Qual" which roughly translates into the "agony of choice" [i.e. having too many choices is a problem] and I feel this applies to Q65 on 2m: people on different frequencies, different submodes (A, B, C) different T/R periods (30 sec? 60 sec?).

Calling CQ on 2 meters is always a bit of a shot in the dark, but this added dimension of multiple frequencies/submods/periods makes your chance of a non-scheduled contact much lower, and this is where FT8 (or even MSK) has a big advantage ... for now at least ... over Q65.

6. VE4CY

VE4CY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A group of us were playing with Q65 on 70cm just yesterday. We settled on 432.065 Mhz (no idea why). Works well at UHF. The farthest station out was 280 miles away and everyone managed to work him OK. This was in very cold very dry air.. The worst tropo conditions you could have.

But back to the original question... LoTW rejects q65 in the mode field. It hasn't been included in the ADIF protocol yet.

Given all the recent Q65 activity (especially on 6 meters) there must be a lot of LoTW logging going on. What are people putting in the .adif 'mode' field?