Q signals

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KB4MNG, Aug 29, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

pse QRX 1 fer QRPee :rolleyes:

2. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Amateur radio amateurs have a bad habit of distorting or mis-using things...everything from the Phillips Code and Q-codes to the English language itself. The best thing you could do is to NOT join the mayhem"

Q signals , like English words, have a way of changing meaning over time. I tend to use things as they are understood by others currently , not how they were used 100 years ago. For example, I would no longer tell someone I was in a gay mood.....

3. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We have a "Q" signal (QRP) for operating with 5 watts or less. I wonder why we couldn't have a "Q" signal for "low power" (5 to 100 watts) like "QLP" ?? QRPL

QRPp = 1 watt or less
    QRP = 5 watts or less
    QLP = 5-100 watts (or QRPL)
    QRO = 100 watts & up.

Probably QRPL would work best.
    I feel guilty sometimes when I'm running 15w. 15w isn't QRP or QRO.
    I usually end up sending: "QRP15 IMI 15W"

Oh well... just a thought :)

Steve / W5BIB

4. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

Not everyone agrees on exactly where the boundaries are between QRP, "normal power", and QRO. So I'm not a huge fan of using the Q-signals to categorize power, unless maybe you're doing a contest or operating event where the meanings of those categories are well-defined by the organizers of the event.

If you're running 15 watts, I think it's easiest and clearest just to say something like "PWR 15WATTS". Or "RIG HR IS YAEKENCOM FTS-740X RUNNING 15 WATTS 15 WATTS". Let the one receiving that report decide whether he thinks 15 watts constitutes low, medium, or high power.

Often, I'll say "RIG IS KX3 WID AMP FER 50 WATTS 50 W". It's not QRP, not QRO, not typical power for that rig, but it is 50 watts, and I described it accurately.

W5BIB likes this.
  5. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In the patrol planes I had a unique situation of using both Q signal and Z signals. On the naval CRATT (Covered [encrypted] Radio Teletype) circuits we used the Z signals which often parallel the Q signals. However for international aviation use, Q signals were used particularly for the RTTY weather reports and airfield Notices To Airmen. :)

6. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

QWA: Quivering With Anticipation