Q signals

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KB4MNG, Aug 29, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

The original question that started this thread, I believe, was from a long timer but a Morse beginner wanting to get on, or return CW after a long lapse..... anyway,
    So he will be sending slow at first.
    In a QRS conversation I am afraid I will fall asleep when the newbie op spells out everything like he is writing a formal letter back in the Victorian era.
    Then ! that is a time to use abbreviations of the common ham radio CW variety. This includes Q Signals. It is proper for me to say"QTH Detroit, MI" and not " "My QTH is Detroit, MI" the extra words are understood and not needed.: Spelling out everything sometimes ADDS to the confusion if there is QRM and QSB, Properly abbreviated text is sent faster and you get the message thru before the band fades out.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  2. M0PHE

M0PHE Ham Member QRZ Page

QTC 2 QRV? :p

3. M0PHE

M0PHE Ham Member QRZ Page

Using CU at sea can be a bit dodgy especially if you want to abbreviate "see you next trip" :rolleyes:

WB5YUZ likes this.
  4. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Never used CU with vessels,... it was always; See U (dididit dit dit dididah) or just SU (dididit dididah)
    dit dit :)

5. K6JJR

K6JJR Ham Member QRZ Page

QRV? is a very useful Q signal. I wish more hams knew what it meant.

6. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

You can teach them when they are ready to learn.

7. KE4HTS

KE4HTS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We used them a lot in the Navy on the old tty or even on the wired network we had.

INT ZBZ

8. N0SYA

N0SYA Ham Member QRZ Page

Lol back in the pk232 era I was monitoring some marine sitor traffic and the next thing I know the dx station sends qru and my ic735 starts responding its life details! But yeah q and z codes are alive and well in cw land, if only for Russian and Chinese military use.

9. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm new to ham radio. (only last month!)... But...I'm an ex Royal Naval operator in the 1960s - 1970s and worked on both ships and shore stations. Q codes were frequently used. There are - or were - many, many that I never used or even heard used though as some could only be used by planes!!, but the common ones experienced operators soon learned. Some of the meanings in amateur radio appear slightly different in meanings in the merchant and naval/military circles. For example;' QRT means stop sending. In amateur circles I hear, "I'm going QRT" to mean I'm closing down. Something I never came across at sea or when other stations did close down.

1966 is a long time ago and some of the ex merchant service will correct me but I seem to recall QTX NW being used *(QTX = I'll keep my stn open until......) NW = now. Therefore I'm closing down now.

10. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

Slightly off subject. Do forgive me, but what do guys who use RTTY/teleprinters use for indicating the printability quality when they receive stuff?

ZBZ refers as you know "Your printability is ......1 = crap - 5 = perfect ) although I thought the z codes were military only.
    Dave