ad: vanity

Q signals

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by KB4MNG, Aug 29, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

It's certainly useful when US stations send the State in full, as most non-US citizens don't know all the abbreviations (do you know all our county abbreviations?!) . . . . some are quite obvious, like NH, FL, NY . . . but many are ambiguous.

Also, I have heard a few terrible tone signals in contests . . . people get a bit upset when you give them a 596 report!

And it's always been CU as far as I'm concerned . . . usually CU AGN SN .

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015
  2. KB1CKT

KB1CKT Ham Member QRZ Page

Interesting to hear the foreign hams input on spelling out states. I will have to remember if that I ever hear DX.

3. WA7DU

WA7DU Ham Member QRZ Page

K8ERV does not think. He thots. This is something Tom might say: "I was just thotting about you. Let's go to the movies. Popcorn! My treat."

The example of Tom-speak shown above is 100 percent realistic until we get to the "My treat" part.

W5BIB likes this.
  4. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

Myself, I have no problem with ops who want to spell out whatevver... I'm in no hurry. No one is passing traffic in my case.
    I'm on the air doing Morse for the Fun of it. Correctness is fine but largely un-neccesary in a casual QSO.
    So, no matter what, get on the air sending Morse and enjoy the company of another ham who may well need a friend to chat with vs a critic.
    Looking forward to my next CW QSO and hope you are as well...
    VY 73/77 from Lane de n8aft sk ..

W5BIB likes this.
  5. AA4OO

AA4OO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

A station sent QRX to me the other day. It was the first time I'd heard it and I didn't know what it meant at the time and had to look it up on my Q-Code cheat sheet after the QSO.

Were were finishing up a QSO and another station fired up on top of me. I thought the station I'd been chatting with was telling the new station they were interfering with us but basically he was just telling me to buzz off so he could talk to the new station.

He sends QRX around 14:00 in the video below...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  6. K9STH

K9STH Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The late Dave Osborn, K9BPV (exW2ZSK), used to use QBE, instead of QRT, when going off the air. He used this on both CW and phone. Dave had been an airborne radio operator, in the Navy, for several years. QBE means "I am reeling in my antenna" and was used, by airborne operators, to let the receiving station know that the trailing wire antenna was being reeled in and, therefore, the aircraft's transmitter would no longer be able to transmit.

On phone, if the operator, of the "other" station, asked what QBE meant, Dave would carefully explain the meaning.

Glen, K9STH

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill, ! :eek:

8. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill, do you spell out " M Y Q T H I S Oregon" every time instead of saying "QTH OR" ! :eek:
    That would give me time to walk upstairs and warm up my coffee and get back in time to say "TNX OM 73"

9. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

It seems to me the other station who was calling PUG could not hear you , maybe due to conditions and thought you were done sending. Seems, also, like PUG sent the other guy's call, I heard it partially thru your QSK, Then PUG sent the QRX, I think it was for the breaking station.
    This is a good reason to learn those common Q signals. Keep a list posted at your radio op position.
    I wonder why you didn't exchange SKCC numbers with Hank !

10. VK5EEE

VK5EEE Ham Member QRZ Page