Q- signals on SSB

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by K0UO, May 15, 2019.

?

Do you use Q- signals on SSB

1. yes

66.1%
  2. no

33.9%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

At one time I had three different phonetic alphabets in three different services. That could get sort of confusing if you weren't paying attention. So, sometimes one sort of crept into another. Most of the time there wasn't any particular confusion. Considering some I've heard, what I use or have used is sort of mild.

K0UO likes this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Had the exact same thing for many years. Two different services for over 30 years. Never a problem.

K0UO likes this.
  3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

Q Signs used on SSB or FM would help me understand what those guys are saying. Sometimes the diction is so bad on the fone bands I can not understand more than half of what is said. :(
    I have not been on fone more than a handfull of times in the last decade ! :eek:
    CW 4-ever :rolleyes:

KW6LA and K0UO like this.
  4. KW6LA

KW6LA Ham Member QRZ Page

QSL QSL on weak SSB signals are easier to copy than... Yep! Doesn't seem to bother us cw ops. Like everything in life, just don't wear it out.

K0UO likes this.
  5. WB9YZU

WB9YZU Ham Member QRZ Page

Another person pointed this out, and got an eye roll...
    All Caps is considered extremely rude in this medium.
    All Caps = Shouting. Unless your intent is to be rude, please do not type in all Caps.

Q codes are not just for CW mode, they are for any mode.
    People use them on SSB, but also on FM, Olivia, PSK31, or anywhere you may want to convey a short message.
    An example of Q code usage would be in a low signal environment where the other operator wants to confirm something.
    Under those conditions, QSL seems to work better than "yes" for some reason.

IMO, the more tools you have in your tool box, the more jobs you can accomplish if you apply them right.
    If you restrict your use of Q codes to just CW, you leave one yourself with one less tool when you need it.

KF5KWO and K0UO like this.
  6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

But using Jargon is surely what ALL hobbies are all about?

Furthermore, (and I know this may come as a shock to many Americans on here), most of the world's population don't have English as their native language . . . so using Q Codes for common words used in QSOs makes things much easier !

Roger G3YRO

K7TRF, AG5DB and K0UO like this.
  7. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes Sir Q codes, does Bridge the language Gap.