Q- signals on SSB

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by K0UO, May 15, 2019.

?

Do you use Q- signals on SSB

1. yes

66.7%
  2. no

33.3%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's some serious circular logic. So.....the FCC is the authority on things that AREN'T covered in Part 97?

Nobody has the authority to enforce the use or non-use of Q-Signals on SSB. Have a blast.

K3XR and K0UO like this.
  2. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Nobody?
    The FCC has the authority, should they so chose to exercise it.
    But as I pointed out, the absence of any reference to Q-codes in Part 95 shows that they haven't done so.

And ...re-read my earlier posts.
    This thread started with the answer provided to a QRZ trivia question stating that the ARRL recommends that we restrict our usage of Q-codes to cw.
    I'm still waiting for the author of that answer to document it.
    ;)

3. WF4W

WF4W Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

sometimes tradition trumps all...

I've been licensed for 30 years and Q-signals have been used on phone for the entirety of that time. I use them sparingly but some are just habit - QRM, QTH, QRZ - I cant imagine NOT using QRZ? in a contest situation...

4. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Actually, if you listen to a W1AW voice bulletin, it starts out "Calling All Radio Amateurs, calling all radio amateurs....."

Q signals on voice SOMETIMES make sense - when they express a concept that would otherwise take a string of words. For example "QSY up five" or "I'll send you a QSL when I get yours"

OTOH, sometimes they are unnecessary jargon.

73 de Jim, N2EY

5. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

BACK IN THE 1950s & 1960s THE STARTED EACH ARRL BROADCAST WITH QST, QST, QST and the Offical bulletin station did the same.

6. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Q-signals on fone don't bother me in the least. But I knew one guy who would over-jargon and say stuff like "There's a lot of Queen Roger Mary and Queen Sugar Baker".

7. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

I would think it would be the DIGI modes, not using the Q signals !!! I think the big DIGI guys have no idea of what CW hams talk about .
    Restrict the use of Q signals from use on DIGI modes !

K0UO likes this.
  8. W5LZ

W5LZ Ham Member QRZ Page

The 'Q' signals are a common 'language' that most hams have in common. They can make communications easier. If two people have a common language then it's much easier to communicate than if they don't. So, in some instances, why not?

K0UO likes this.
  9. N8AFT

N8AFT Subscriber QRZ Page

JUST ANOTHER CASE OF FONE GUYS WHO CAN'T EVEN USE PHONETICS RIGHT... JUST MAKE THEM UP AS U GO?
    WHAT MAKES ONE THINK THEY HAVE A CLUE ABOUT Q SIGS???? :p

Learn Morse.
    Do CW.
    Use Q Signals.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2019
  10. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

There you go. If you're going to use them at least use all caps in your post. "JUST MAKE THEM UP AS U GO?" U, You?