ad: vanity

Q- signals on SSB

Discussion in 'Survey Center' started by K0UO, May 15, 2019.

?

Do you use Q- signals on SSB

1. yes

63.6%
  2. no

36.4%
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

This was on the QRZ Trivia test today, so it might be fun to talk about!!!!

To which mode of communication does the ARRL recommend we restrict our usage of 'Q' signals in our amateur radio transmissions? A CW

So how many use Qs on SSB???

I do for sure!!!!

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

QRV for your survey making it to my QTH! QSL!!!

:D:D

Dave
    W7UUU

[serious answer: NO I do not use Q-codes on SSB]

K0UO likes this.
  3. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

It's rare to hear any SSB op running a frequency in a contest, field day, or DX operation without using "QRZ?"

N0TZU, K6LPM, WG7X and 3 others like this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Yeah ya got me there now that I think about it - I will freely admit to that one with "QRZed?" :)

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2CZU, K0UO and AG6QR like this.
  5. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd like whomever composed that question provide documentation (perhaps a link?) that ARRL recommends restricting Q signals to CW.

What I find is:

Communicating with Other HamsContact Basics:
    Good Amateur Practices
    "... While Q-signals were developed for use by Morse operators, their use is common on phone, as well..."

http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Get on the Air/Comm w Other Hams-Q Signals.pdf

;)

K6LPM likes this.
  6. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Find it strange that the question would be asked only about SSB what of the other phone modes? Yes, I use "Q" signals from time to time on other than CW. After about 60 years on the air, why would I not continue to do so? There are some important issues in life, this is not one of them.

W2VW, K6LPM and K0UO like this.
  7. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just because it's common doesn't mean it's proper. To me, if you wouldn't use phonetics on CW, why would you use Q-signals on SSB? To each his own....and who cares what the ARRL says,....they use Q-Signals in print every month. :)

N8AFT and ND6M like this.
  8. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

From above: KS2G from the link http://www.arrl.org/files/file/Get on the Air/Comm w Other Hams-Q Signals.pdf

Per the ARRL!!!
    Q-signals are a system of radio shorthand as old as wireless and developed from even older telegraphy codes. Q-signals are a set of abbreviations for common information that save time and allow communication between operators who don’t speak a common language. Modern ham radio uses them extensively. The table below lists the most common Q-signals used by hams. While Q-signals were developed for use by Morse operators, their use is common on phone, as well. You will often hear, “QRZed?” as someone asks “Who is calling me?” or “I’m getting a little QRM” from an operator receiving some interference or “Let’s QSY to 146.55” as two operators change from a repeater frequency to a nearby simplex communications frequency.

I don't use Q's too much, but I'm an old timer and QRZ!! QRM, QRN, QSY, and QTH is part of my hamming

K6LPM and KA2CZU like this.
  9. KS2G

KS2G Subscriber QRZ Page

Re-read my post.

The OP cited a QRZ trivia question that said, according to ARRL, Q-signals should be restricted to cw.

I'd like whomever composed that question (or anyone else) to document where ARRL --or anyone else-- says Q-signals should be restricted to cw (that is, it's improper to use them on phone)?

;)

K6LPM, K0UO and K3XR like this.
  10. K0UO

K0UO Subscriber QRZ Page

What about all the low-power operators, when they say they're running "QRP"!!!!!