Q signals, HI HI, etc., on voice modes.....why?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W4ZD

W4ZD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No we don't! :D

I have always considered the opening sequence of Contact to be a brilliant piece of work. And it ends with a "CQ" :)

2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not really a feud. Burt trolls. It's what he does. The problem is those of us who take the bait, including me. ;)

WZ7U likes this.
  3. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

No it isn't.

"For I have neither wit, nor words, nor worth, action nor utterance, nor the power of speech, to stir men's blood. I only speak right on. I tell you that which you yourselves do know."William Shakespeare

Now you've done it - you mentioned Jehovah!

(Mandatory Amateur Radio content: Shakespeare may have been a ham:

"Lead their charges off a little from this ground" - Julius Caesar, Act IV, Scene 2

"The copy of your speed" King John, Act IV, Scene 2

"Out of tune and.....unmatched" Hamlet, Act III, Scene 1

"This blasted Heath" Macbeth, Act 1, Scene 3

Oh no - now I've said the name of the Scottish play.....

HB9FUH likes this.
  4. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You're safe. It's only DOOM if you say it in a theatre. That's how I've always heard it, anyway. ;)

5. SM0AOM

SM0AOM Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember this?
    (QST February 1972 p.58)

hamlet.JPG
    73/
    Karl-Arne
    SM0AOM

W2AI, WA7PRC and N2EY like this.
  6. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

Mr. de Bakey's free, but he's a little bit conciliatory.

All I said was, that bit of Halibut was good enough for Jehovah.

N2EY likes this.
  7. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I dislike when hams use all cute little phonetics in place of the standard ones. At least with me my brain is slow to translate all these other words into letters so that I usually miss some information. The standard ones my brain has learned to immediately translate. Not so good on the non standard phonetics.
    QSL?

John, WB0MPB for ID.

8. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

Asking someone whether they heard everything you said or understood what you were saying is amazingly pointless, because the receiver of the communication has nothing with which to compare the transmitter's intent.

There'a Frasier episode in which Frasier wants to tell Daphne that he and Marty would pay for her wedding flowers. He said to Daphne, "Daphne, dad and I would like pay for you wedding HICCUP." Daphne replied before Frasier could finish, "You'll pay for my wedding!?!? That's the most generous, kind..."

On radio we've to things like "roger" and "over" and so forth to clearly signal beginning and end of transmissions, which helps somewhat.

9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I have unfortunately taken the bait many times and I should not have. To me when he always had to bring up his number of lookups and likes and compare against others and talk about his numbers on his Youtube movies I just thought that was him trying to stir people up. To me your lookups and likes number means nothing. But then I realized for Burt those numbers were really important to him. So who am I to criticize him because those numbers are very important to him. So I do not say anything about it anymore when he starts listing his numbers because for some reason they are a big part of Burt's life and I did not figure that out for a long time.
    So I am happy that he has 3,991 likes and 57762 lookups because that is an important part of Burt's enjoyment of ham radio. I hope the numbers just keep climbing for him. Just because those numbers mean nothing to me I am sorry it took me so long to figure out that they were really important to Burt. So best to you Burt and enjoy ham radio the way that is best for you. And also enjoy all the notes you have gotten from your kids as a teacher. You should make a book with all of them in it. Sometimes I wish I would have kept the thank you letters my company got about me from my customers. It just wasn't important to me.
    So again I am sorry for the times I harassed you for always bring up your numbers to compare to others. I just did not realize you were not just being mean but they meant the world to you.

John, WB0MPB
    PS, It would be interesting to find out how many times a thread has been created about this very subject. I guess for some this subject is very important to them. I guess I just don't get bothered by what words or Q signals people use to talk to me on the air. A lot would not like to talk to me on the air because I use Q signs while I am talking on SSB. Everyone is different though and I am sorry for those I offend if I say something like QSL? on SSB. Been doing it for 43 years. What can I say?

W4NNF likes this.
  10. WD4IGX

WD4IGX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I put Burtzilla on ignore long, long ago. But I keep seeing other people taking the troll bait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.