Q signals, HI HI, etc., on voice modes.....why?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2EY, Aug 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Never miss an opportunity to get in a veiled political dig. Good job! It's all about plausible deniability.

W2AI likes this.
  2. K1OIK

K1OIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You said I never made a positive video and I provided a counter example, you finally admitted a mistake in your accusation where is my apology?

As far as the DX-40 and VFO I believe I fixed the VFO but it needs final testing and the DX-40 has another part I just got but I have been sick so I have been away from my work bench.

W2AI likes this.
  3. K1OIK

You are telling me to let it go? You really? Do you not recall the 30 posting you posted to me with a number on each?

4. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

It used to be commonplace a few decades ago but seems to have largely died out. I used it occasionally in an ironic manner.

5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks for reminding me, I ‘ve been remiss.

N2EY likes this.
  6. KD5FJE

KD5FJE Ham Member QRZ Page

All I can add to this is Gordo - we all know who he is - taught me to use plain language on voice when I was in training for my Tech+Plus. So I do. I only use Q codes on CW for brevity which is what they're meant for. Using Q codes on HF phone is bad enough, but when I hear this stuff on VHF repeaters I really just want to laugh sometimes. Many Q signals add nothing but confusion on phone especially the ones we don't use often. Just say it in plain language. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
    You don’t need to use Q signals or other abbreviations that are meant for CW operators on phone!! We’re not sending code, so we don’t need things like “QTH”, “XYL”, or “HI HI”. Plain language rules on phone.

N2EY likes this.
  7. K1OIK

You want to apologize to me for telling me to do something you don't do?
    Yeah, like that would ever happen from an officer of the Pittsbourg DX Association.

8. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

We already have a U.S. Space Force! :)

QSL on that, H I H I, over and out.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
    N2EY likes this.
  9. G8ADD

G8ADD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am getting fed up to the teeth with this perpetual feud that mars thread after thread, it is getting positively Shakespearean!

"A plague o' both your houses! Zounds, a dog, a rat, a mouse, a cat to scratch a man to death! A braggart, a rogue, a villain that fights by the book of arithmetic!"

Give over, chaps, however amusing this squabble might be to the participants, to many of us it is about as welcome as having a Jehovah's Witness on your doorstep.

WZ7U likes this.
  10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

You don't deserve an apology, Burt. You owe lots of them, though.

You found an original Heathkit L-3?

Anything can be fixed if enough parts are replaced. The trick is to only replace parts that really need replacing.

(Mandatory Amateur Radio content: IMHO, the DX-40 power supply and control system design is so fundamentally flawed that the best thing to do is start over.)

AB8MA and N2SR like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.