ad: Mircules-1

Q-signal for ‘sending speed check’

Discussion in 'Straight Keys - CW Enthusiasts' started by K3PI, Sep 25, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K8BZ

K8BZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If your sending speed matches the other stations sending speed you should be OK.

KC7JNJ, WN1MB and WA1GXC like this.
  2. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Nailed it.

A good operator N E V E R sends faster, whether or not aided by automation, than they are proficient and prepared to receive aurally, unaided, under the conditions present.

"Don't do the crime if you can't do the time."

Last edited: Sep 27, 2021
    AE0Q, KP4SX and WN1MB like this.
  3. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Guilty.

PU2OZT likes this.
  4. M6GYU

M6GYU Ham Member QRZ Page

If someone sends cw to quickly = then its your responsibility to send QRS if required. It is not entirely necessary for the sender to check this.

If someone sends cw to slowly t = then its your responsibility to send QRQ. Its not up to the sender to to ask whether he his sending too slow - or quick!

W5BIB and WA1GXC like this.
  5. K5TSK

K5TSK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You must have a kind heart and compassion for the other op to ask a question such as this. It's Ham radio. There are guys who are trying to increase speed and in your case, they on this day, didn't make it. There are ops who normally copy much faster, but are having a bad day. I've had many lately. I've heard WHIZ BANG QRQ guys sending 10 wpm when they copy 40 wpm, just trying to get anyone to answer. I've heard on-air laughter, when another 40 wpm op answers at 10 wpm.

Lots of things happen in this hobby and you must allow for bad conditions, sudden health problems or interruptions on the other end, or the sudden QSO that pops up on frequency that wasn't there 2 minutes ago. Maybe just slow down a few wpm and ask politely if you need to slow down. This would be a good place to ask, then send BK. Hope the other op knows what that means.

WZ7U, M6GYU and WA1GXC like this.
  6. KD1JT

KD1JT Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh yeah. Too many new and aspiring ops are told to get on the air as soon as they know the characters, without ever learning procedures, Q codes, and common abbreviations. Try sending QRG? sometime. You get a pause, then “?”. Hard to explain on the air why I don’t know the freq, “don’t all radio appliance thingies have a digital readout?” … they do not. I think it’s great that newcomers (and some OMs) are learning the code. But that’s not all there is to operating CW. A useful read, in lieu of a real life Elmer, is the ARRL’s “Ethics and Operating Procedures for the Radio Amateur”.

M6GYU and OE3IAK like this.
  7. W9RAC

W9RAC Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Its not unusual for me to send 15ish, since I'm around a straight key frequency using a bug. On more that one occasion including last week the Op. answered my CQ @ 20ish, with a paddle. I flipped over to the paddle @ 20/21 but then he was gone. I'm thinking he can send OK at 20 or so but needs to copy slower. Ill never know since he/she/it disappeared, not the first instance of such an encounter. Leads me to wonder, why would you answer 15/17ish at 20 ish if you did not expect the same in return. QRS would have been fine and I would have returned @ the 15 or so. 73 Rich

8. WA1GXC

WA1GXC Ham Member QRZ Page

Confession is always good for the soul.

I've heard the self-ordained Ministers of the Church of QRZ.com & Discount House of Worship have convened a plenary religious court, and granted you absolution.

Your slate is wiped clean.

The past is old, scuffed baggage. Enjoy your time on the air.

73!

9. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

That made me smile, thanks!
    I went to the slow lanes and put out something closer to my copy skills. Phew, no one called me back. :eek:

When I hear myself sending around 13, it sounds painfully slow to me, to the point of distraction. I turn my fist up and 18-20 just sounds better but I'll be damned if I can keep up.

I know, back to the mill and slog it out until I get that flabby muscle toned again. :oops: Somewhere I have code tapes to listen to as well.

10. K3PI

K3PI Ham Member QRZ Page

Well the main reason for the original post was that I have had a rash of quickly abandoned QSOs recently and I felt that a couple of them were related to my sending speed although I felt like I was close to the other ops speed. Maybe it was just bad luck. There seems to be quite a few relatively new cw ops out there and I don’t want to accidentally run anyone off. It’s hard enough to get answers to CQ at times. Thanks for all the replies and ideas.

Russ K3Pi