Q: "Malachit" SDR receiver"??

Discussion in 'Software Defined Radio (SDR)' started by WB2GCR, Mar 13, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2GCR

WB2GCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Any other information you might share?

I did not see anyone offering RF filters for it. Definitely a plus!

2. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Why is it not portable?
    A Hermes Lite 2 in its metal case weighs only 440 grams. It still needs a battery, display, and control interface.

But do you carry a mobile phone when you operate portable?
    If so, the mobile phone has a display (and likely an SDR capable CPU) that you can use networked to an HL2.
    And there's software to operate a Hemes Lite 2 for both Android and iPhone/iOS mobile devices.

Since over half the weight of the HL2's is in its metal case, it might also be possible to significantly lighten up a Hermes Lite 2 by using a plastic case. For transmit when outside its metal case, the HL2 would also need some sort of clamp-on heat sink.

3. EI4HWB

EI4HWB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a new feature offered by Georgiy. I sent him an email asking about the details and will come back with the info as soon as I get it.

4. WB2GCR

I suppose it is possible to make the Hermes Lite 2 portable.
    I do not have a mobile phone to utilize ONLY as my panadapter for a receiver.
    It also costs quite a lot more, before one is done with all of the details. That includes
    the filter board. I don't know that the mobile phone's processor CAN operate the Hermes Lite??
    That might be interesting but for another project/application.

So, afaik one needs a windows OS with some client software on some sort of PC platform or other.
    Small form factor PCs can be had, but again, another expense and power drain?

All of this new technology potentially can be useful... depends on the details?

_-_-bear

5. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

A tablet or small laptop and an airspy would be better then the Hermes lite.

6. N6YWU

N6YWU Ham Member QRZ Page

Easily. An iPhone 12 is better at both SDR/DSP and panadapter graphics than the vast majority of i5 laptops and even some i7 PCs (unless they have discrete GPU cards). I've used an older slower iPhone to operate my HL2 for both CW and SSB QSO's (email me if you want to beta test).

IIRC, there's also an (older) openHPSDR app in the Android app store that might work with an HL2.

The Airspy HF+ does seem to have slight bit more dynamic range, but the USB port adds more latency, and makes it more difficult to connect to an iPhone without using a Raspberry Pi as USB-to-ethernet dongle. Plus for portable op QSOs, you still need a separate transmitter. Easier to connect to an Android mobile though. And it includes VHF/2M Rx.

Both of the above seem to perform better at HF Rx than the older Mirics RF chip in the Malachit, IMHO. (I've used an RSP2 for comparison testing.)

7. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

The Malachit is only a receiver.
    If you want a portable hand held wide band sdr with battery, the mcHF will do HF.
    More money and its a 10 watt transmitter also.
    There does not seem to be anything quality like the Malachit at low cost.
    The Icom 705 will do it also!

Something like the Airspy or other dongle and a tablet like thing would be much better.
    The Airspy is $160.00 and if you have an old tablet around and can get sdr sharp to work on it, that would be
    a GREAT portable RX!

You would think some company would be making something like a good version of the Malachit, bigger screen,
    quality parts....its not cutting edge tech...

8. EI4HWB

EI4HWB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

9. WB2GCR

What is the technical basis for this assertion?
    It would seem that the Hermes Lite ought to perform as well as an Anon 100??

_-_-

10. WB2GCR

Thanks, but...

Unless that version of the manual is different than the one that has been around for some
    time? It's semi useless, frankly.

For example: ATT=0 is maximum attenuation, not minimum...

The manual I read did not state the range of any controls or what exactly they were doing.
    Like AGC values - unclear what is being adjusted.

Not sure that the dynamic range of the display is stated. I did not notice it.

Etc.

_-_-bear