Q. How do you know you are a crappy CW operator?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
  1. W5INC

W5INC XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Since everyone's finger prints are different, there is no 1 "right" way to learn CW. I learned the CW, by sending the letters first with a code practice oscillator, going thru the alphabet. I would look at a chart showing A = . _ B = _ ... and so on. I would run thru the whole alphabet while looking at the chart and sending the characters. After 2 times I would try to send the alphabet without looking at the chart. If I did stumble on a letter, I would look at the chart to get the correct CW characters, send that letter 3 times to help memorize it and then start from A all over again. Sending the letters and hearing them at the same time does work for some people and might not for others. Learn all of the alphabet/CW characters sending first, so you aren't getting frustrated and you are making headway in your CW project. In this way you are learning at your own speed. If you can send the whole alphabet already, even better. :)

When coping code over the air, try writing the letters as small as possible, like 1/2 of your regular size, so it takes you 1/2 as long to write down the letter. Most importantly, don't get all out of kilter just because you missed a letter or 2 and if you do happen to miss a letter, just think you are on Wheel of Fortune, figuring out a puzzle on that game show. Every CW OP that ever lived occupied the same CW speed plateau @ 1 time you are now on, so don't worry about that either. Make QSOs and don't worry about making mistakes, because even the best CW Ops still make mistakes when using CW.

VK4HAT likes this.
  2. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Count the number of QLFs you've received?

AC8UN and KP4SX like this.
  3. K6LPM

K6LPM Ham Member QRZ Page

The person at Nike Footwear that dreamed up the slogan "Just Do It" must likely be one of the most successful persons to walk upon the earth during our lifetimes.

I cant help but think back into the time when I read that little red book It Works
    and the very first opening sentence,,,,,,,

"If wishes were horses beggars would ride."

Anyways, I think VK4HAT has got it, and is doing it, and will continue to get it just fine.

It is what it is and it is and it is what each of us makes of it, take it or leave it, Its what works for you.

I feel so profound!

Hey Richard I think that it is a very similar experience with many of us. (especially the 13wpm General Class Licensees) That have a good enough grasp of code to have passed the test.
    I feel that I have just the perfect amount of enough proficiency to get myself really backed into the corner. I think that many real General class guys are probably like myself and much like you described. Pretty decent fist and no novice accent! Got a good steady consistent rhythm and can send words and phrases with ease. Unfortunately this is at a speed and cadence at least 3 or 4 times the speed that is anything near comfortable for us to receive, not to mention the performance anxiety, band conditions and the expectations we place upon ourselves.
    It is also a whole different set of airwaves and bands these days. The Novice segments arent the same game and it is harder to find others in that same comfort zone as myself,,, or so I would have myself to believe it to be.
    Nowadays it matters less to me. I am not a novice anymore. All the real novices are gone anyways. So, I dont need CW to have a ragchew.
    It is just a really great tool that I best use to chase the DX and get those tough ones into the log book.
    Always a quick easy exchange that almost always is a 59 and you already have heard the call a bunch of times, it is just easy peasy as it can get. (but I am still apprehensive of cw on 20mtr DX.... ..)
    I have found that there are only a few very important things to really positively need to copy. If you concentrate on just what the basic things for the log, Callsign, Name, RST and maybe QTH you are good.
    DNT WRI BOUT --..-- THE RIG HR IS or DIPOLE ANT 40FT BT SO HW CPY ..--.. -,,,- -.-

--,,, ,,,--
    Bri
    KBLPM

Last edited: Jun 1, 2019
  4. K6LPM

-.. --- .... !

VK4HAT likes this.
  5. K6LPM

--.-- .-.. ..-. ..--.. ..--..

VK4HAT likes this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Once you're reasonably proficient, "expert" will likely come by itself if you get on the air on CW frequently. :)

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

How do you know you are a crappy CW operator?
    When you consistently send 5 dits for an 'H'.

(Did not take the time to read all the replies so it may have been mentioned.)

K1OIK and K6LPM like this.
  8. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I had to learn the difference between H and 5 right out of the box. <wink>

9. W2AAT

W2AAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No..... Crappy is when you constantly send 5 dits for an 'R'!

Learning cw is like eating beets..... It's just something that you have to do......

10. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

If it was easy, it wouldn't be referred to as a skill.

Just about anyone can blabber into a microphone.

KP4SX likes this.