Q. How do you know you are a crappy CW operator?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, May 30, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

I suggest looking at this club site, they have a good CW practice class, and this is a good place to connect with others to have QSOs with. https://longislandcwclub.org/ . They use a video conference with Zoom.

2. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

That is interesting. Time zone difference makes it hard. It would be 6am or 9am local and that would not happen during the work week.

3. N7KO

N7KO Ham Member QRZ Page

Some one will give ya fair crack of the whip.
    Well keep your gear dry, I see on your Blog you are down under, and a FT 8 enthusiast as well.

CW is Ridgey-didge and it does move pretty fast, ya gotta stay on top of it,
    it is nothing like FT 8.

Cw is Straight to the pool room 73,

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    VK4HAT likes this.
  4. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

That's a lot like the advice people get when asking about antennas!
    I did a course called "Morse & Procedure" way back , which was supposed to be to prepare you for those subjects in the "Commercial Operator's Certificate", but most of the students were Hams, hoping to get their Morse up for the AOCP.

I was doing a bunch of other subjects using up most week nights, & didn't have the time to practice at home, so I "bombed out" on the Morse, although I did alright with the "Procedure" part.

That pretty much scared me off Morse for years.
    Needless to say, I never became a Shipboard Radio Op!

When I did become an amateur, it was by passing the AOLCP "no code"exam.

I fully intended to "learn Morse properly", but having a young family & working shiftwork tended to intrude into that somewhat.

Progress within work required study, so Ham radio was a "when I get time thing".
    Studying theory is one thing, Morse practice is another.
    The former doesn't make funny noises & annoy SWMBO!

I devised a "cunning plan" whereby I could listen to the VK6 "Morse practice beacon" on the way to work, using the F290R.

it wasn't bad, & I got so I could read most of the stuff in my head, but most of the text was about NASA, & every now & then, they would mention someone with a Polish or Armenian surname, & I would be lost.
    Traffic conditions would also intervene, so that idea slowly fell by the wayside.

Finally, along came 2004, the Morse requirement was gone, & I could get on HF without it.
    By then, I felt too old to persevere with trying to learn the code.

5. VK4HAT

I hear you, life gets in the way of all the fun. For me, my hobby interests are quite varied, CW, home brew, DX, contesting, portable operating, sota wwff etc, along with work and family means something is always taking a back burner as there is only so much time that can be used for hobbies. I am ok with things taking time, it is what it is, the hobby is a long haul for me, not instant gratification. So hopefully in 5, 10 or even 20 years time I will still be plodding along with the varied things that interest me and getting as much enjoyment out as I do now. The last thing i ever want to be is an expert who has achieved everything done everything where the hobby holds no allure for them. You know the ham radio is dying crowd, because they could not evolve with it and got left behind.

W7CJD and KA2CZU like this.
  6. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

Today I was a little on the air on the beach in Montenegro. Sea, mountains, pines. From which flowed resin and dripped on me. I smeared my fingers into it, which then stuck to the key. Here it was crappy CW =)

Attached Files:

KA2CZU, N5CM, VK4HAT and 2 others like this.
  7. VK4HAT

Love the view. What a location to operate from. So did you have sticky dits or sticky dahs LOL And you better tell me all about that radio you are using. Was it a kit or homebrew?

8. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

It's homebrew. He has a post somewhere here on the Zed detailing the build.

9. US7IGN

US7IGN Ham Member QRZ Page

I use my favorite portable homebrew radio (based on PFR-3a) with tuner and built in battery http://www.us7ign.com/?p=628. Site is near Petrovac, Montenegro.

Attached Files:

VK4HAT likes this.
  10. VK6ZGO

VK6ZGO Ham Member QRZ Page

I think I know your second hobby, us7ign!
    Great photographs!
    73, vk6zgo.

US7IGN likes this.