PyLogJam

Discussion in 'Logbooks & Logging Programs' started by KE4ET, Mar 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KE4ET

KE4ET XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone,

If you want a logger with a very simple interface that does not require configuring, this might be what you are looking for.

If you want a logger that runs on most anything, this might be what you are looking for.

If you want to be able to run pileups very quickly without having to think about your logger, as fast as you can type the callsigns, this just might be what you are looking for.

The interface is intuitive and should require almost no learning curve. A few minutes getting familiar with it is all you need to be ready to run pileups.

Screenshot from 2021-03-17 11-22-01.png

I'm starting a new thread for the logger PyLogJam as the title and leading info on the previous thread https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/pota-specific-logging-program-pylogjam.750283/ is no longer completely accurate.

I started writing PyLogJam specifically for POTA activations, but it has expanded since then. The logger no longer requires a Park entry so it can be used as a general logger, and I am adding support for SOTA.

PyLogJam is released under the GPL license. The current version is 0.6.0 to be released tonight. This logger has been in the works for a while now, and I have used it myself on over 40 activations to date during the past seven months.

The program is written in Python 3 so it should run on most anything. You'll just have to have Python installed, with support for tkinter (TK Interface) which is the de facto default GUI interface for Python. I'm a Software Engineer and writing this program gave me a chance to play with Python on a small program. Usually I have worked on large systems with thousands of source files and decade(s) of development effort.

On some OS's Python is natively installed. On others you'll have to install it (www.python.org) I've been running PyLogJam on Linux laptops as that is what I have, but Linux is not required.

PyLogJam runs on most anything including Android cellphones. However at present PyLogJam does not support iphones or ipads. Apple broke Python 3 / tkinter so I'd have to rewrite the GUI code. That may be a future update.

PyLogJam produces an ADIF file with the current naming convention for POTA log submittal. The files are ready to upload to your POTA coordinator, and to LoTW via tQSL, etc. Thanks to the POTA people for assisting in testing! Of course, PyLogJam can be used for logging outside POTA!

PyLogJam is currently in beta test with 20 Testers. When the beta test is completed - there are still a couple of features to roll out - the program will be public (hosting TBD) under the GPL license. Those who want to join the test program should send me an email. I probably don't need more testers but I'm happy to have them. If you are or become a Tester, please provide feedback! I'm in the process of adding features requested by the Testers. You need not fear PyLogJam being in beta phase - the program has been quite usable for over half a year. What it does, it does solidly.

Currently PyLogJam supports the US Band Plan. I am looking into adding support for the Canadian Band Plan, and possibly other countries by request.

There is a separate discussion on Slack for the POTA people.

Gerald KE4ET

2. KE4ET

I'm holding off releasing the next version of PyLogJam. I created a Band Plan bypass bug when I added support for logging without activating a park. I didn't discover the bug until I was somewhat through the more complex updates to add in SOTA support. So I will not be releasing version 0.6.0.

I have since completed SOTA support except for a tiny bit of cleanup, and have done quite a bit of testing. When the minor remaining cleanup is done, and I have taken a fresh look at the code, and retested, and perhaps ran a logfile through the submission process, I'll release 0.6.1. It should not be long.

Version 0.6.x is a significant update. PyLogJam will now support a SOTA activation with or without a POTA park, as an activator and as a hunter. PyLogJam will also support more general logging. But the GUI still looks essentially the same.

Gerald KE4ET

3. KI4POT

KI4POT Ham Member QRZ Page

In the new version, do the Park and P2P fields validate the input? In other words, does it require a KNNNN or will it take a SOTA reference (w4v/sh-303 for example) as well? SOTA has Summit-to-Summit calls, so being able to record either a park or a summit reference in the same log would be handy.

I'm doing a SOTA activation Saturday, if you can get the new version to me by then, I'll try this out for that purpose. I think the summit also falls within the national forest, which I think is also a POTA site. If not, we may be hitting a 2nd summit which is most definitely a dual SOTA/POTA location.

Chris

4. KE4ET

PyLogJam 0.6.1 will be able to record both park and summit references simultaneously in the same contact, in the appropriate fields. What used to be the Parks field takes a comma separated list, no spaces, of POTA Park IDs and SOTA Summit IDs in any order, or no entry at all. What used to be the P2P field takes a comma separated list, no spaces, of POTA Park IDs, SOTA Summit IDs, and notes, in any order, or none of them. Notes are whatever doesn't look like a Park or a Summit.

Summit ID detection is pretty crude at the moment though. It keys off the "/" in the ID. I'll improve that later, probably in 0.6.2.

I also allow more than one Summit in a contact. This of course should be impossible. But for the moment PyLogJam collects them in a comma separated list and prints a warning message to the command line. Most people will never see that message unless they launch the program from a command line. I figure if the operator entered it I'd accept it. The operator of course would then have to edit the ADIF file before submitting as SOTA will make no sense of a multi-summit!

If I don't hit any snags, I'll have the new version out to you in time for your activation.

Gerald KE4ET

KI4POT likes this.
  5. KE4ET

PyLogJam 0.6.1 has gone out to the Testers.

Screenshot from 2021-03-20 00-15-08.png

Gerald KE4ET

KI4POT likes this.
  6. KE4ET

I'm looking at adding IOTA support in the next beta release. I plan for it to work like POTA and SOTA; add the ID into the Info field, and PyLogJam will fill in the appropriate ADIF field(s). I'm working through the details of what is needed.

It may not be obvious, but that Info field can take a lot of text - way more than the width of the box.

I also plan to add callsign pattern validation to the next beta release.

An operator provided mode is a candidate for this next beta, or the one after that. Supporting the Canadian band plan is also on the To-Do list.

Other than on a smart phone, what do you think of the current screen size of PyLogJam? Should I make it a little larger, or is it the size you would want it to be?

I'm anticipating releasing the next beta in about a week. If there are wish list items, speak up!

Gerald KE4ET

7. KE4ET

I've coded IOTA support for contacts for the upcoming 0.6.2 release, to behave the same way that POTA and SOTA entries currently work in the Info entry field. As usual I allow upper/lower/mixed case, and a lazy operator can leave out the '-' in the island's identifier and PyLogJam will add it when the contact is written to the logfile.

However I am not supporting the ADIF field IOTA_ISLAND_ID since I have been completely unable to find anything definitive on what really should go there. I have found that it is being misused by at least one logging program out there. So I am only filling out the IOTA field in the ADIF logfile.

Gerald KE4ET

8. KE4ET

I've coded and tested enforcing callsigns entered be of a valid pattern for callsigns. That is:
    Rules:
    Contains only the letters A through Z, the digits 0 through 9, and the slash character.
    Contains at least one number and one letter.
    Is at least three characters in length.
    Does not begin or end with a slash character.
    Does not begin with 0.
    Does not begin with 1 unless it begins with 1A, 1M, or 1S.
    Has a maximum length of 20 characters.

Callsign entries which violate these rules will be highlighted yellow. The operator will need to fix the entry before it will be logged. Previously, I only required a callsign have a minimum length of three characters.

So at this point the minimum feature set for 0.6.2 beta release is complete. I'm not sure anything else will go into 0.6.2. We'll see.

Gerald KE4ET

9. KE4ET

I found a critical bug in PyLogJam last night while freeplaying with the program, that occurs when PyLogJam reopens an existing log file with mode of SSB or FM. The bug had slipped through my testing. So I will be releasing 0.6.2 tonight instead of later this week and I recommend all testers upgrade to this latest version!

Gerald KE4ET

10. KE4ET

I sent out PyLogJam 0.6.2 some hours ago, in bulk. Usually I receive a response from someone but not this time. The email may have been lost to a spam filter and gone to nobody. So somebody please let me know if they have received it, or not!

Thanks,
    Gerald