Puzzled about printer

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WA9SVD, Jul 15, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi,

I'm EXTREMELY puzzled. In August , 2010 I purchased a (new) Samsung ML525 laser printer at F**'s for $59.99.
    Currently, the (apparently) SAME ML2525 laser printer at various dealers is between $400 and $560. WHAT (or why) is the discrepancy?

2. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know why laser printer prices have increased but I also noticed that recently. I had bought a Brother black and white laser printer about 5 years or so ago for about $60. Did a real good job for me, but died last week. Essentially the same model is still available, but is now $180. I don't think inflation accounts for that much increase.

3. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Tariffic! :rolleyes:

4. WA9SVD

There are (particularly Brother brand) laser printers in the $60-$ 100 range currently available, some even with duplex (double sided) printing. F**'s is one source, (esp. with "promo codes.) Other laser printers, for some reason, are much more expen$ive.

Once a paper jam was located and removed, my ML2525 still works, although I don't expect it to last quite as long as my H-P Laserjet 4P, which lasted 27 years before it finally died. I figure the ML2525 should work at least another 5 years or so, or two replacement toners, whichever comes first. I just don't understand a price increase of 8-10X from what I paid 9 years ago for the same model!

5. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I retired from a major medical diagnosis instrument company. The revenue stream from the regent packs allowed for contracts to place the instrument without cost if the customers reagent purchase rate was maintained.

For printers I always suspected the printer was a loss leader to hook you on buying cartridges. When the cartridge demand drops, printer price increase.

Mike

N0TZU likes this.
  6. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

2010 was a time when a computer was a tool used to generate content of all sorts (documents, photos, charts, etc) that would be printed.

Today, printing is a afterthought unless you are a car dealership.

Demand falls, prices go up.

7. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Those two model numbers are not the same.

Many printers come with "Sample" toner cartridges. A real full cartridge that last longer will cost more.

8. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

Newer models come with wireless connecitvity (WiFi, Bluetooth, NFC, etc.) so that probably adds to the cost of a printer as well.

We have a behemoth of an office, color, laser, printer (Dell 5110CN) in our bedroom that we bought back in 2007--it still cranks away and toner cartridges lasts us y-e-a-r-s; we've only replaced one set so far. Those HP LaserJet 4's, though...you can't kill those things. HP should've stayed out of the computer market and just stuck with making long-lasting printers.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a Brother all-in-one inkjet not for the printer, but for its scanner: 11x17, duplex, color. We don't print enough to make injket worthwhile since the ink would dry on its heads, making the printer problematic to use.

9. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an HP 2100 that will not die. Runs years on a toner cart.

10. WA9SVD

Understood about the "beginning" toner cartridge. I can't comment on model number, but an 8X or more increase in price? And I actually got a "price match" and got the printer (2010) for $49.00 USED ML2525 are going for $60-$100 on Amazon. Authentic Samsung toner goes for about $85, the "high yield" toner goes for about $90-$115. Refills or re-manufactured high yield toner cartridges are as low as $16-$17.00
    If you plan on keeping the laser color printer, there are good quality scanners (only) available for less than $100, wider capability may be a little more, but probably less than an inkjet "all-in-one." And at least SOME all-in-ones cause faults when the ink is out or dries out, whether you use it or not.

I had an option of the ML2525 or ML2525W (with wireless capability , but at a $20 higher price) but only needed the mL2525 without wireless capability.