Putting two LiFePo batteries in parallel

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KI5AAI, Aug 13, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KI5AAI

KI5AAI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I currently have a Talentcell 120A1 12v/15A Lifepo battery. I thought about buying another one and putting them in parallel. If I do, will they recharge normally on a charger or should they be charged individually?

The reason for putting them in parallel is to increase the time I have while portable. I am running an FT-891.

I could always buy a Bioeeno at 20 amps but I figured since I already have one of these, buying a second one would be cheaper.

2. KD2TTM

KD2TTM Ham Member QRZ Page

Bioenno advises not to run their LiFePO batteries in parallel....

KD1JT likes this.
  3. KI5AAI

Yes, I know. I do not have a Bionenno, and if I did I would just get the 12V/20A one which would give me all I need in one battery.

What about other Lifepo's?

BTW: Great pics on your QRZ page. Very nice area!

KD2TTM likes this.
  4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I'd suggest going to the manufacturer's technical data sheets to see if they have recommendations for series and parallel operation -- some do publish this, and if they have an application note or engineering bulletin or anything discussing this topic and showing how to use their batteries in parallel, I'd just follow whatever they suggest.

WA3GWK and KD0CAC like this.
  5. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

how about 2 diodes to isolate till they are even??

KU3X likes this.
  6. KD0CAC

KD0CAC Ham Member QRZ Page

Going to the manufacture as Steve mentioned is what you should do , but being a Amazon source getting to the man. be difficult .
    Most of the time batteries like that have an internal BMS Battery Management System - and is where the limits are for most everything - it manages .

7. KD2TTM

Somewhere on their pages, I think Bioenno explains why they don't recommend running their batteries in parallel. I believe it has something to do with the cell balancing and built-in balance and charging circuits. I would think Talentcell would be able to tell you if parallel operation is safe with their batteries.

I'm glad you enjoy the photos on my QRZ page and thanks for the compliment on the photos. When most people think "New York," they're not thinking of the majority of the state, which is pretty darn nice!

8. KI5AAI

I am running the FT-891 right now with 100 watts on the one battery. I most likely will just buy a larger capacity battery and swap them out if needed. Weight wise we are talking about a lb or two of difference anyway

9. KI5AAI

There is no good tech data on it. And I knew that some people do not like to do LiFePo in pararrel. Anyway, I grew up in MA and NH, but I call NH as my home. I still have land in the White Mountains.

10. KD2TTM

Nice. I did some winter camping in Lincoln Woods off "the Kanc" a few years back. I've climbed Mt. Washington and have ridden up in the track-equipped van in the winter. And I have been going on a saltwater fly fishing trip for striped bass in MA (Cape Cod) for 26 consecutive years now... The Northeast is a great area to enjoy the outdoors! (And that includes playing with portable HF radios!)

Your QRZ page is very cool! Thank you for your service!