Putting together data for possible crank up tower install - need some feedback

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KN4DQE, Feb 10, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KN4DQE

KN4DQE Ham Member QRZ Page

So back on topic. Regarding coax for a crank-up tower. Basically it sounds like it just hangs / bends every time the tower goes up / down? I am assuming that best practice is to have a connector at the base (besides for lightning protection) to allow for removing a section of coax that may break due to many up / down cycles?

2. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, a guyed tower is MUCH less expensive to erect. It requires a LOT less concrete, the tower sections are actually not very expensive at all. As long as you have room for the guying, and don't mind and have skills and safety equipment for CLIMBING (which is where a lot of hams lose interest) or can pay someone else to do it, you can save a LOT of money over the cost of a crank-up tower, at the cost of convenience and a lower visual profile.

3. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, it just hangs from the stand-offs. You should have the connections for feedlines ( you may very well have multiple antennas using the same tower) and connection to your earth grounds and lightning protection in a weather tight enclosure near the base of the antenna.

4. KL7FZ

KL7FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

YOU GOT A POOL! Dang!

5. KN4DQE

Yeah, I was planning on installing the tower right behind the pool, right next to it. Hopefully there won't be any issues to the proximity of the pool.

6. N4NYK

N4NYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Of course, Aluma towers are lightweight, aluminum instead of steel and are crank-up.
    You could use it for a diving platform:)

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There shouldn't be, provided the excavation for the tower base doesn't damage any existing plumbing for the pool!

With pools, sometimes you just have to know where that plumbing is because if it's PVC (common today), a metal detector won't find it. But "pool guys" may have special instruments that can locate underground plumbing even when it's plastic (somehow). I had one of those guys and instruments out at my last house after an earthquake to check for underground leaks and it worked...not exactly sure how.

When it doubt, dig carefully.:)

Unless your coax is hardline, it won't be damaged or prematurely worn out by the flexing of cranking the tower up and down. If done properly, the cables make big loops and not harsh bends and they can take thousands of such flexes.

KN4DQE likes this.
  8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

The primary reason why folks do not put a tower adjacent to their pool is - birds. You don’t want them sitting on the antenna(s) which could overhang the pool. Another potential problem is lightning in that when conducted to ground in close proximity, there is a potential to crack the concrete/gunite. That has happened to 2 guys I know of.

9. KN4DQE

That's my concern. I think I would think I could mitigate this by keeping it down during storms.... But not sure.

10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

True but it is something to consider if you have an alternative location. And birds will sit there regardless.