Puter batteries

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KL7AJ, Oct 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

No...not pewter batteries....I don't think those exist...
    Anyhoo...I have an ASUS laptop that's been almost continuously plugged in for the past 15 years or so. I needed to use it portable for a special project...and after about 10 minutes on battery, it just went "PLOOP" and died, without even asking Mother May I.
    So I went to the friendly local battery store and they told me the replacement battery was actually a lot better than the original...I had to take his word for it, because I never gave the original any kind of workout.

So, just for jollies, I let my new battery fully charge, plus about another hour, and then let it run. Using Winders 10. It went for SEVEN HOURS before sending up a little flag to tell me I might want to plug in the charger. SEVEN HOURS!
    Now I wasn't doing any number crunching to speak of, and I don't do video. But STILL....seven hours on a charge...and this thing has four processors.

So, should I be really impressed, or is this normal these days?

"Dry Cell" Eric

US7IGN likes this.
  2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I-I-I am impressed anyway.

3. K1APJ

K1APJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I just went through the same thing with a modern Dell 'puter. I didn't get 7 hours, but I get more than I expected. The third-party battery was about 1/3 the cost of the genuine Dell; I figured if I got half the life of the Dell I would still be ahead. So far, so good.

Batteries are a lot better than they used to be. Except for Duracell.....

4. KX4OM

KX4OM Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm impressed. I have bought two batteries for my two old Dell Inspiron 1525 laptops, cheap ones from eBay both times. I really consider them as something to ride through the occasional brown-or-black outs of the local grid.

They are both on their second keyboards and LCD screens as well :)

Ted, KX4OM

Last edited: Oct 22, 2020
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not quite the same thing but I have a little tablet I bought specifically for an overseas trip about 3 years ago. No name Chinese Android. Cost $20-something.

It has been at least a year since I used it and I put it away charged. I pulled it out just to check it a few weeks ago and the battery was still 100%!

6. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

If you have the ability to choose whether to fast or slow charge a device that uses lithium batteries, set it for slow charge--you'll get a longer service life out of them and as a benefit, they'll go longer without a recharge.

I did some cursory reading about devices, with lithium batteries, that blew up and it appears that fast-charging is a common factor; it makes sense since with fast charging, more current flows, batteries become hotter, and in turn, could result in catastrophic cell failure.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=laptop+battery+blowing+up

7. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Ah ya' mean them things that go up like a firework?

I'd be treating them with care...!

Dave

8. W9GB

W9GB Ham Member QRZ Page

After August Duracho and 48-hour power outage,
    it was time to change the 12 Ah 12 Volt battery on my UHF FM radio setup.
    I was surprised that the previous battery had lasted 6 years (2014 purchase).

I went down to the neighborhood Batteries & Bulbs for exchange (they handle old battery disposal). I found out that Batteries Plus moved away from their internal battery brand (mfg. in Wisconsin), and now sell Duracell.
    The new battery I bought NEVER charged correctly, it acted like a weak or dead cell.
    I use maximum one (1) ampere charge on that battery.
    So, a few days later, I dropped into store for the exchange (1 year warranty).

Kid at counter acted like he does exchanges everyday ... didn’t flinch at request or my request.
    I selected the replacement, they were all dated 2019 mfg.

greg

G4COE likes this.
  9. G4COE

G4COE Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I agree I had some cells in a Thander Portable Oscilloscope 6 months after fitting - 'zilch now't', a couple of them corroded so badly the whole casing was rotted! A good job they were well protected.

When this scope was given to me it hadn't been used for about 4 years..... the begger still worked and batteries in good shape, they were also Duracells. At one stage Proctor and Gamble produced them .

Dave

10. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

It's not limited to Duracell's larger batteries, either--I can't count how many times their AA's and AAA's leaked, ruining the battery contacts (or device) they were in contact with.

G4COE and KF5RRF like this.