ad: Schulman-1

Push to talk button on a FT-60R

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KE5RMC, Apr 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. KE5RMC

KE5RMC Ham Member QRZ Page

Today I had enter in some new repeater for a trip to my day house on the other side of Houston.. When something happen that never happen before.. When i push the push to talk button on my radio it restarted not just once but 3 time on other freg.. I plug it up to the changer at my dad house and it did not happen again.. So I was wondering if this has happen to other with the FT-60R ham radio.. I"m thinking it may be time for a new battery.

2. N4CR

N4CR Ham Member QRZ Page

My FT-50R will sure do this when the battery is low.

Batteries for these are cheap on eBay.

3. KD0KKV

KD0KKV Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, low battery. I've seen my ft-60 do this just scanning. When it picks up something, it just does for a split second then continuously reboots.

4. VE9SY

VE9SY Ham Member QRZ Page

Same here. Time to get a new battery. This generally happens as the battery gets older. At first charging it helps, but soon even after a good charge it will do it as soon as you key up. Even if you just took it off charge. The funny part is you can listen for hours with no problem.

5. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

The AA cell battery unit for the FT60r is a very good idea. I got mine at one of the bigger Ham internet stores for $19.00.

The manual is confusing on the use of rechargable AA cells. Yes, you can use them, BUT you cannot charge them when they are in the radio. In other words, if you use the AA cell unit, NEVER plug the radio into a charger. Rechargable AA cells must be removed from the HT for charging.

I am very pleased with my AA cell unit. During extensive sessions with the FT60R, I can simply snap off the factory battery unit and snap in the AA cell unit. When those get worn out, just snap the unit out, replace with fresh AA cells,snap back in and you are good to go. Good quality long life AA cells last about as long as the factory battery unit.

On exercises, I take about three changes of fresh AA cells. I have yet to get into the third set.
    EDIT: I forgot to say my FT60R will chirp and shut off when the battery gets low. I always have the "battery saver" function activated on mine, and I think that is why it shuts down before it gets wacky.

6. K0CMH

K0CMH Ham Member QRZ Page

I need to fix my last post. I said: "if you use the AA cell unit, NEVER plug the radio into a charger." That could be confusing.

What I meant to say is that you should never plug the FT60R into a charger when the AA cell unit is in the radio. That includes the use of a connection to an external supply of power (cig lighter, big battery, etc., since that also "charges" the battery uint). The bottom line is that you will ruine the AA batteries (either regular or rechargable) if the FT60R is plugged into a charger or external power, and the AA cells could rupture -- really bad for the HT.

Of course you can connect the FT60R to a charge or external power when the factory battery unit is in the radio.

7. KE5RMC

KE5RMC Ham Member QRZ Page

I hate to asked but could some give me a webb site for the cheap Batteries on eBay. i looked but i guess I'm not looking right.

8. KC2PCF

KC2PCF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.