ad: Schulman-1

Purchased a FT767GX on eBay...

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N2IIE, Aug 17, 2018.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: OK1UUad-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N2IIE

N2IIE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If I'm nice enough to buy your 30 year old radio on eBay please be nice enough to pack and ship it so it's not rattling around in the box. The radio weighs 30 pounds. The thin box your old Dell Computer was shipped in is no match for a 30 pound radio. I opened the box and 6 sheets of 12" x 12" of thin bubble wrap and 2 or 3 handfuls of shipping popcorn to secure the radio showed me how much you appreciated my transaction. I don't see any visible damage but I haven't turned it on yet (I haven't summoned the courage). I'm sorry if you didn't get the small fortune you expected from your boat anchor but have the decency to ship it correctly. PS... Dont expect a 5 Star review.. it ain't happening!

[​IMG]

2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's OK I bought an FT-101 once and it came wrapped in bed sheets. Thank God for PayPal.

N2IIE likes this.
  3. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

A lot of people don't understand the physics of packaging things for shipping (or physics at all), so it's difficult to gage their intentions.

That said, your flooring and drywall contractor have some work to do!

WA8MEA, NE3Z and WF4W like this.
  4. K7WFM

K7WFM Ham Member QRZ Page

It was in an actual box? Luxury.

WF4W likes this.
  5. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

I bought a Heathkit SB 220 from Burghart Radio a few years ago and it came the same way. Tubes still in the amp, no wrap, just a cardboard box with peanuts. It's a miracle it was ok. Tighten down components, and fired it up.

6. W0VRA

W0VRA Ham Member QRZ Page

They should understand the physics of packaging for shipping.

7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Did it work?

8. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep. Tightened screws, pushed tubes all the way in the sockets, checked for lose components, fired it up.

W0VRA likes this.
  9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Lucky.

It's easy to break the tubes (at the bottom pin seals) shipping 3-500Zs in sockets without absolutely excellent packaging. Even then, I'd ship the tubes separately.

KY5U likes this.
  10. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Some of these guys are on crack it appears.

N2IIE likes this.