PulseLarsen NMO2/70SH

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by NG9F, Jan 20, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

2. KC0LDH

KC0LDH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not much to add. I suppose it depends on if it is a touch free car wash, and the clearances. I have a 2018 ram 2500, and even with the spring, it would be too tall, and the 7'0" carwash clearance is only about 3" above the roof.

I will let you try that one first - Lemme know how it goes! :)

NG9F likes this.
  3. NG9F

NG9F Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh interesting!! My Ram 1500 is a 2018 Big Horn with 20" wheels. Maybe I will just have to unscrew the element and put a cap on the NMO mount for the car wash!! I can live with that though.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  4. AI7PM

AI7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't run any antenna through a car wash.

KS2G and KL7KN like this.
  5. KC2LFV

KC2LFV Ham Member QRZ Page

NG9F likes this.
  6. K6EEN

K6EEN Ham Member QRZ Page

Spring loading helps save the antenna when you accidentally whack a low tree branch or the fast food drive-thru overhang, but not an automated car wash. Just get a Larsen rain cap, Larsen SKU #NMOCAPB or Tram #1290, and unscrew the antenna when you go through the car wash and put the rain cap on there. Takes about a minute to change from antenna to rain cap. I do it by the "self vacuum" area of the car wash, or curbside before pulling into the line. Also use the cap when pulling into parking garages with low roof clearances.

7. KL7KN

KL7KN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, no any antenna you wish to keep.

Pull the element, cap the mount = safe bet.

KC7JNJ likes this.
  8. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like the 2/70 B with the open coil just because the plastic sleeved coils have broken on several other antennas after a tree branch strike.

9. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

THIS! ^^^

10. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a Ford F 150 pickup and it gets hand washed. Not just because of antennas but other after market add ons that would not fare well in a car wash. Only takes a few minutes to hand wash it