ad: k1jek

PTT cable for radio to amplifier

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by K1SZO, Dec 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: DLSpec-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. K1SZO

    K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

    Hello all,

    I just purchased my first amplifier (Palstar LA-1K) and high power auto tuner (Palstar HF-AUTO).

    Anyhow, the amp arrived today and it says I need to connect a PTT cable (customer provided) from the radio to the amp. Okay, I'm guessing it needs to be customer provided due to the different possible radios you may connect to it. (I currently have three, FT-450D, KX3, (not sure 15w can drive it at all though) and a Flex 6400)

    Well, I searched and do not see any documentation about how to create one of these nor can I find a purchasable pre-made cable. I would like the ability to attach any and all of them to the amp.

    Anyhow. Any guidance on making one or where to buy them for the listed radios would be great.
  2. W1QJ

    W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

    Most amps require a "ground on transmit" closure to activate the amp into transmit. Most amps take a male phono connector in the back. See your amplifier manual it's there. Each one of your radios probably have a different way to output that closure. Once again, your manual for each radio will tell you where/how to get that "ground on transmit". Look in each manual for each radio under "using this radio with an amplifier". Every radio has a small section dedicated to how to mate the radio with an amplifier. It will tell you what acc. connection gives you the "ground on transmit" SOME radios have a simple female phono jack just for this however lately most new radios output this through a DIN jack. Ebay sellers make up these pre-made cables for just about every radio. You could probably search Ebay for each radio and find what you want.
    K1SZO likes this.
  3. N4MTB

    N4MTB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

    Check your exciter manuals. The FT-450D requires a cable part number SCU28, or you can make your own, the pin out is in the manual. The Flex uses RCA type cables, but must be configured.
    Good Luck, Mike de N4MTB
  4. KM6CND

    KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

    My relay came from Radio Dan dot come.

    He designed it to self destruct rather than kill the radio or amp. Everything I needed came in the box.
  5. KM6CND

    KM6CND Ham Member QRZ Page

    Additionally, I have had no problems with the unit at all. I could have directly connected my FTDX-1200, but chose not to.

Share This Page