PT0S

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K7RQ, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I'd bet not one of these whiners has ever been on a real dx-pedition. After all, they are entitled to excellent antennas, good propagation and professional operators or else they might not make a qso as easily as they want.

2. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Some people seem to forget that the name of the entity is St Peter and St Paul ROCKS. Emphasis mine.

The blog updates said that they hardly had any room, no room to sleep (they largely went without) and little room for antennas. This is only slightly better than BS7H scaffold reef in my opinion.

Also, there has been a permanent ban on amateur radio activity on the rocks due to environmental concerns. This team only got special permission because they had to adhere to strict environmental rules, chief of which was a limited fuel supply to minimize pollution. They also floated on battery power to maximize fuel. They "only" had 500 watts and used a new phased vertical called the garden beam.

I doubt you'll see a "serious effort" with beams and kilowatts anytime soon. It's just not happening.

3. N8MSA

N8MSA Ham Member QRZ Page

I have worked DXpeditions with weaker signals than theirs, at least from my perspective. I think that, without regard to the causes, they couldn't "hear" as well some other DXpeditions. They seemed to struggle (again, not trying to criticize) and this seemed enable a lot of frustration and bad behavior.

I have to stress that the insane amount of TX frequency "policing" and the overall lack of restraint by who-knows-how-many lids isn't the fault of PT0S. I hope that the "guilty" realize that taking out their frustration on the PT0S and their fellow hams didn't make it any easier for them.

I think the one big mistake that they made was letting the splits grow to truly enormous proportions. People realized early on (by watching spots) that the further "up" they went, the more likely they were to be heard. This blew up a number of nets, round-tables and similar QSOs with the overall effect of hacking-off a lot of people that couldn't have cared less about how rare PT0S was and with insufficient emotional restraint. I never heard them, until the last couple of days, even declare a frequency range and they still allowed split creep even after they did.

4. K4HX

K4HX Ham Member QRZ Page

Not sure how close they were to the water (and it sounds like there wasn't much room) but the 6Y2A contest efforts have shown verticals at saltwater can produce big signals.

http://www.k2kw.com/6y2astory/story.html

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.