ad: M2Ant-1

PT0S

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K7RQ, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
  1. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

The space limitations did not allow for beams, just verticals. It is unlikely the restrictions ever will allow for large antennas. The operating space itself was 3 x 5 meters, and had to be shared with a dive team.

2. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

Guys to the west of you worked them on 6 or 7 bands - W7DN being one example.

3. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pat
    I'm as far west as you are and worked them on three bands I didn't have PY0 confirmed on and I heard them well enough to work them on bands I had confirmed but didn't try those as there was no good reason.

As for DXpeditions having KW's and yagis that is not always possible for a whole lot of reasons. St P & P rocks was not a hospitable place. They had enough trouble keeping the antennas they did have operational. Having been a DX'r for 40+ years I have worked a lot of DXpeditions that were running barefoot into minimal antennas. BUT, the operators understood propagation and would work those areas of the world on a particular band when conditions were favorable. Plus their operating techniques were top of the line which is not true of all Dxpeditions

4. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Chris,, I am fortunate to have missed the slim, for sure. You did very well yourself! Lots of hours in the shack on this end as well, but it payed off. Cheers to all who worked them, it wasn't easy. 73s

5. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My understanding, and I well could be wrong, is that a lot of the planning was for naught, due to changes in circumstance beyond their control, once the team arrived.

The fact that the team was able to go there at all, considering that certain parties in the government there want to ban future amateur operating (at least for the forseeable future), is in and of itself a minor miracle, and one that we should be grateful for -- especially to the folks who managed to pull this rabbit out of the hat.

I'm sorry you didn't work them; the pileups were tremendous, and I was darn lucky to get them on 40 CW on Wednesday evening. It's unfortunate that their plans to operate in the contest this weekend were dashed, but when your hosts are the military, and the military invites you to QRT early, I guess you don't have much of a choice...

6. WW3QB

WW3QB Ham Member QRZ Page

From the PT0S website (under news):

This is the way it was. I would not expect better next time (doubt there will be a next time). I'm hoping I'm in the log when they do the next update when they return to Brazil.

7. WA4OTD

WA4OTD Ham Member QRZ Page

My tech at work always says "they must be using verticals" when they are weak. I wasn't there and I'm sure they did the best they could, but they were never that strong here in Indianapolis either. I work almost all DXpeditions, but not this one.

8. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Already confirmed via LoTW! Cool!

9. N2RJ

N2RJ Ham Member QRZ Page

They were uploading to LoTW whenever they did an online log or ClubLog update.

That's nice of them but I wonder what effect it would have on donations. THat kind of expedition doesn't seem like it would be cheap.

10. W8FAX

W8FAX Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked them on a few bands, but was glad to get them on 160 and 80. Really had to persevere tho'. Lots of idiots QRMing and ops who just can't copy CW. I am glad they went and hope all get home safe. I would not want to do what some of these guys do. Perfect???? No...but you guys who constantly complain about everything someone else SHOULD have done, please announce YOUR next dxpedition so we can all be ready....and I dont mean the Bahama's either......

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.