PT0S

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by K7RQ, Nov 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: FBNews-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not sour grapes because I had St Peter & Paul Rocks from prior DX peditions and got PT0S on 3 new bands this time. Yes they deserve thanks for going to such an unhospitable place where just staying on the air while getting hammered by wind and waves was tough. But having said that, when on the air the operating practices could have been much better particularly regarding the huge splits they were working. That and the obvious favoritism towards SA stations was what invited some of the intentional QRM I'm sure. I called quite a few times w/o results until I switched to saying just 7 WR in Spanish. When I did that (for each of the 3 bands where I worked them) I was acknowledged quickly. When I then gave my full call in English you could almost hear the surprise in the OP's voices that I wasn't a PY7.

2. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh well, didn't get this one. I didn't hear them too often,and when I did the children drowned them out:(. I Think some folks manners are getting worse with each Dxpedition.

3. AB1QP

AB1QP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree about the operating practice. There were a lot of strange things going on other than the splits. Highly infrequent ID's, odd disappearance and reappearance, blindingly fast cw followed by 3 or 4 fills till whoever was blitzed figured it out. On 15 one op explained that there qould be no more 12 meter, as the band was to narrow for thier splits!

Hmmm. Lets think about that and see if there is a solution , other than to say we are just too big tor the band. It was their show and, well, if they were all the same what would we have to talk about?

4. N4FZ

N4FZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are one lucky guy, really! HiHi! ;)

5. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

HOpe....

I was a bit worried when you said you worked them because there was a slim on too, but fortunately, you did get the Q in their log...that is all that matters...good job....

6. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

missed them on 12...oh well.

7. N2ADV

N2ADV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was worried as well but they uploaded quickly, thankfully!

8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm quite pleased with this operation--my first contacts with a really rare one on 40/80 in ages--and they were both easy contacts due to the op on the other end. :D

Final tally was 7 contacts, 7 bands, and three modes.

9. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One way a DXpedtion overcomes the lids is to put out a SUPERIOR SIGNAL and blast through the QRM. This did not happen on this event. They must have been using verticals and barefoot radios. I never did hear them, and only a few West Coast stations I know worked them. (Super Stations).

Maybe someone will go there again someday with some SERIOUS Equipment, kilowatts and Beams! THEN they will work the world!

10. KC7YRA

KC7YRA Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I'm with Pat on this one. Never heard them worth a darn on 40 or down and not at all above 40.

i don't know any locals who worked them. Propagation was certainly not on our side.

Brad

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.