ad: M2Ant-1

PSK63 in RTTY Roundup

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Jan 6, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The upcoming RTTY Roundup is one of the few RTTY contests that allows for "attended" data modes other than just 45.45bps Baudot FSK:

Which says, in part:

Objective: Amateurs worldwide contact and exchange QSO information with other amateurs using digital modes (Baudot RTTY, ASCII, AMTOR, PSK31, PSK63, and Packet—attended operation only) on 80, 40, 20, 15, and 10 meter bands. Any station may work any other station. Stations may be worked once per band, regardless of mode.

PSK31 seems a bit slow for a contest but PSK63 would be just about right for people accustomed to RTTY transmission speeds.

Have any of you tried to run PSK in a RTTY contest? If so, what were your results? Did you find significant participation by PSK operators in the contest?

How about FSK modes other than 45.45bps Baudot? 75bps ASCII, anyone?

I'm also curious on general thoughts of expanding RTTY contests into "data" contests, where other modes are encouraged.

2. K7MH

K7MH Ham Member QRZ Page

I never have. Never gave it a thought. I wouldn't expect much activity on those modes in an RTTY contest now that you mention it.
    You can encourage other data modes all you want but I think the RTTY scores will crush their scores. They might need their own category. I have always found that there is more than enough RTTY activity in an RTTY contest to keep me busy most any time of the day I get on. They really are a "ham radio computer game" with software like MixW.

3. KJ4YQK

KJ4YQK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the info. Might try some contacts after dinner. Dave

4. IZ1FKS

IZ1FKS Ham Member QRZ Page

psk in rtty contest is a great idea nut unfortunately nobody wants to use psk modes... i don't know why...
    i would like to log some psk63 contacts in this round up 2018 but it will be difficult as usual. nobody answer at psk63 calls...
    psk63 need much less power and it's really better than rtty in bad propagation conditions

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
  5. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IMHO, it would be better to have a separate PSK contest if someone wants to that. I would certainly consider participating, I probably will never try running PSK (or any non-RTTY modes) in a RTTY contest.

6. IZ1FKS

in 2018 contest should be DIGITAL not only rtty...

7. IZ1FKS

Unfortunately even this year 2019 no station in PSK see on air at all. ARRL Roundup could be great because it's not only rtty, but nobody operates in psk. rtty is quite old nowadays, it requires high power and it's diffcult for small station to have lots of qsos during years with low solar activity. Anyway several US stations worked for improving my RTTY WAS !! Hope to see stations operating psk63 or psk125 next year, they are very fast modes(more than ft8) and require a SNR much lower than rtty. It's difficult to understand why no serius contest activity could be done in psk.
    73 from Italy de Filippo (Phil) iz1fks

KK5JY likes this.
  8. N4QX

N4QX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

In the 2001 RTTY Roundup, toward the dawn of the PSK31 era, there was a designated plaque for top PSK31 score (arranged/sponsored by the QST Editorial Staff, if I recall correctly, although the sponsorship is not memorialized in the QST writeup). W2UP was the winner.

PSK63 is awesome. PSK125 is awesomer. But both overkill if you're not using macros.

W0PV and KK5JY like this.
  9. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree. If you use an FEC version, you can get both a higher Q rate than RTTY, plus some error correction to avoid repeats.

W0PV and N4QX like this.
  10. N4QX

N4QX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are a few PSK-x contests out there. I'll have to try sometime. For RTTY Roundup, there didn't seem to be a critical mass of activity to test this.

EDIT: Can try this weekend:

http://www.uba.be/en/hf/contest-rules/uba-psk63-prefix-contest-rules