PSK31 via iMac/FTDX1200

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W6RRS, Aug 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. W6RRS

W6RRS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Trying to figure out how I can use my iMac with my FTDX1200 for PSK31 operation.
    In the past I used EASY Digi with my old Toshiba Satellite now (sk). I was given a iMac which has a headphone Jack, but microphone is built in to the iMac case. Would appreciate any assistance for this old appliance operator. 73 W6RRS

2. KG7WGX

KG7WGX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

According to this, there are a variety of different audio jacks on iMac computers -

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/about-audio-ports-cpmh0052/mac

What you want is a combination audio in/audio out jack, which can be used with a "splitter" to create separate audio 3.5mm jacks for the microphone and headphone, like the old laptops had.

I believe there are two different wiring plans for the splitters, Apple and everyone else, so make sure you order one for your computer model.

If you can't get a splitter to work, you should be able to use a USB audio dongle with separate audio in/out jacks and connect to that.

An external audio card removes any concerns of sending system sounds over the air, and also gives you a better chance of not having to mess with the levels every time.

3. W6RRS

W6RRS Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you, greatly appreciate the information. 73