ad: wmr-1

PSK31 Rant

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by K5DVW, Feb 22, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. K5DVW

K5DVW Ham Member QRZ Page

I, like many of you have been enjoying PSK31. I'm also a relative newcomer to the mode (even wrote an article about it here QRZ). I've noticed something that really gets me ranting. I've noticed that some people are exceptionally proud of their setup, to the point that they don't think anything of sending you 5 minutes (no exaggeration, I timed one) of canned text describing every electronic thing in their shack, even when you didn't ask. This has happened to me many times, and frankly, I don't care that you're computer has an AMD 33 Mhz processor or that you have a 180m long wire and 10 other antennas and various radios you're not currently using when we're talking on 10m. I'm sure there are times and places to discuss such information and if it's a topic of discussion by all means let er rip, but folks, on a slow digital mode, simpler is always MUCH better. Something like "Radio is Icom 706 with long wire and 25W" is more than sufficient to convey the essence of your station without hogging bandwidth.

I like many folks these days, dont have a lot of time to operate. So when I get on the radio looking for a QSO, I'd rather actually engage the other station than have canned macros sent to me. I'm just funny that way. Now DX is another story, and even then, you'd be wise to keep your macros VERY short. Let's not develop bad habits on this fine new mode.

That's my rant. I will also say I've had some exceptionally pleasant QSO's with top notch people over PSK and I really enjoy the mode. But when someone launches their station brag file and it reads like a novel, I may not be there when you return it to me.

Anyone else have an opinion on this?

K5DVW

2. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand your point, but others like myself, I type with two fingers and poorly at that. I use several macro's that I have preset for use on the band such as a brag file (probably 200-300 characters) a QTH file with the town name and then "about half way between * & *" and so on so I can keep up the appearance of having a conversation and not typing practice. I was a Guide on AOL awhile back and used macro extensively and learned how to use them. I don have any that run 3 minutes but I have several different one to help me make a qso..I think that is why they put them there in the program. Have a little pitty fo us TYPOGRAPHICALLY DISADVANTAGED FOLKS. My biggest problem is due to an injury to my right hand from a couple years ago, but then I wasn't much of a touch typer before then either..10-12 wpm.. so please, kind sir, have pitty on us poor typers.. and you are right this is a good mode. thanks and remember, its not about radios , its about people who use them.. 73 tom N6AJR

3. N6AJR

N6AJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I can't spell either... tom N6AJR [​IMG]

4. KG6IRW

KG6IRW Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear you. I've just started with PSK31, my first attempt at the chat-keyboard type of QSOs. I'm an ok typer and can keep up with the sending speeds of PSK31 but I can understand that those who feel their typing skills are not as well-exercised as their CW fist could feel intimidated. For those, I'm glad there are macros.

Until you pointed it out, I hadn't really though about macro length so I appreciate that it is important to be clear and to the point with the shack descriptions. I'm going to go back and look at a couple of macros where I could use less letters/words and still get the point across.

Thanks posting.

Cheers,

David/KG6IRW/AG

5. WB3DSJ

WB3DSJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree, after only two weeks on psk (the best thing
    since sliced bread) I have edited down my macros".
    For yus guys what cant type try using a fill in the blank
    macro such s "How's the wx there? Wx here is ___"
    My two cents
    Gary

6. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

Anyone who can't type at 75 WPM should not be licensed to use the Internet or Amateur radio.  Heck, I could teach my dog to type that fast. It's easy!  Anyone can learn it in just a couple of days.  I guess you are too lazy to learn to type.  Keyboarding forever!!!!!  75WPM keyboard requirement would keep the lids out. blah, blah, blah, blah....

LOL

7. KC5SDY

KC5SDY Ham Member QRZ Page

Among other things, macros need to be used in moderation.  I can usually type a little faster than PSK is sending but the times when I seem to have nothing but fat thumbs for fingers, those macros sure come in handy.  It is a good thing to check your macros as you build them to make sure that they are not too long.  I like to keep mine under 30-45 seconds but, that is just so I can put in my 2 cents in here and there.  Plus, I have a problem with thinking of things to say realy quick so my QSO's end up being a little on the short side.

8. N4LNE/SK2022

N4LNE/SK2022 Ham Member QRZ Page

I for one use macros to allow the qso to flow smoothly and I do make use of a brag macro. My macro contains station info, location info including a grid and qsl info.
    The use of macros allows me to send one file and be done with it. I am a new general and have no claim to great knowledge, but if all operators would allow all other operators the freedom to do it the way they wish within the rules provided then complaints would stop. My way is my way and your way is yours, I plan to continue to do it my way and may you do the same.
    N4LNE
    Phil

9. KA8FFM/SK2023

KA8FFM/SK2023 Ham Member QRZ Page

For united we stand, divided we fall...Just another nit picking, self orientated article designed to weaken the amateur brotherhood. Those are my blocks!!! Vince KA8FFM

10. K6UEY

K6UEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the post and interesting views on PSK-31. I am not presently on the mode but giving it thought and putting together the interface and antennas to give it a try. Due to these posts I may have to give it a little additional thought before putting a signal on the air. I was under the impression it was another of the many modes of Ham Radio,it would appear it is only and extension of the Internut and the Cyber World.
    I am not a typist I use the 2 finger method of typing and until now it has been adequate to carry on a conversation on Packet,Ascii, and the old Baudot Teletype .I have never had any asperations of being a Secretary so typing skills have always held a low priority on the accomplishment list.
    Maybe I should give SSTV or Real Time TV  another look they don't require Cyber World Skills.
        73, To all   ORV / K6UEY

11. Guest

Guest Guest

semi-agree... BUT... I have found questions answered after viewing some of the brag files. For example, I once had a problem making the PCI128 sound card work correctly, and when I saw a brag file go by and it said that the fellow was using the SB PCI128 as a sound card, I waited until they signed and I called the guy... he answered by troubled question.
    Perhaps this is the only example of why I sometimes like to read long files. Maybe a better way is to have two macros, brief and verbose.

Bob

12. AF1S

AF1S Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi All,

I too am new to the sport of PSK and am having some fun with it. And as the rest; I'm not much of a typist and the use of macros helps. I've trimmed them a bit over the last couple of days to accomodate our friends with attention deficit or a lack of patience.

It strikes me that the K5 that posted this wants to make "high 5's" and run. There certainly is nothing the matter with that but there are some of us that like to converse. And I can assure you in my qso I'm going to give you the rundown on the station. Now you can get that via a macro or you can sit for an additional 5 minutes as I hunt and peck. And hopefully from there, after learning each others setups, we can have a conversation based on that or whatever comes along. Most of us have a couple of extra minutes to spend. I'd suggest a different mode if time is that much of a factor.

Most importantly......this is a hobby. It's fun. It's a place where we need to be tolerant and enjoy the differences that people bring to the table. Speaking of table service; Would you like some cheese with that whine?

Best 73

13. K2WH

K2WH Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Geeezz!!  A ham with no time to listen to the other guy.  I thought PSK was a way out of the rat race of voice qso's with the "Ur 59, 73's" exchange.

Are you so presed for time that you cannot not look at text scroll onto the screen for 30 seconds?  Maybe you should get another hobby.

Oh as to the comment hogging bandwidth, just wait a minute.  PSK31 is very efficient with bandwidth.  One of the most efficient modes on amateur frequencies.  So hogging bandwidth is not an issue here.

If you don't want to or don't have the time to sit and watch, then turn the radio off.  And I thought I was a grump.

14. WA4MJF

WA4MJF Banned QRZ Page

Cool it, fellow hams, it is just a fancy update on
    the "brag tapes" (real paper tapes) that have been
    around for decades.

I guess it won't be long and all y'all on PSK will get
    some "art".

So best, if you're new to FSK modes, just watch and learn.

73 de Ronnie

15. KB9YFI

KB9YFI Ham Member QRZ Page

I get a kick out of the numerous hams who are seriously lacking in the typing skills.  One of the above posters said that typing is a "cyber-skill" while another said that he was not interested in becoming a secretary so why pursue learning it?  This boggles my mind.  Typing is a real-world skill in today's marketplace and is becoming more and more a necessity.  

One other thing that I have noticed is that the CW die-hards are the ones least likely to be able to type.  Many of them are the ones who type in all caps too.  Code is MUCH harder to learn than typing.  If one had to make a choice between learning one or the other anyone who chose code would seriously need to reconsider their priorities.  Keyboard skills have taken me to where I am today and without them I would be working in a factory somewhere for $15/hour slaving my life away.  Being able to communicate via the Internet with clients, co-workers, upper management and staff is paramount to success.  

Good language skills and proper spelling, grammar and punctuation are a sign of education and intelligence.  Being able to beep out 3-letter Q-codes in incomplete sentences may be fun but will really not get you very far in the real world.  I may be way off-base but I think my priorities are better focused than anyone who spent years learning CW.  They spent their time learning only to talk to a fraction of the world's population at an extremely low speed and with minimal content (rag-chewing has a negative connotation.)   Learning how to communicate with the rest of the world at a faster pace and with meaningful content is more important.  CW has its place but priorities are priorities.  

I would suggest anyone to buy a cheap typing tutor program.  I have seen Mavis Beacon and others in the bargain-bins at the store for under $5.  They really help and are fun too.  One time a few years back when I was laid up and could not work I did some work with a software tutor tweaking my skills and was consistently breaking the 100WPM barrier as long as there were not too many of the uppercase numbers which really slow me down.  If only code came this easy I would consider putting the effort into trying once again but I don't feel that the payback -other than the HF privileges- would be worth it.  I'll just wait until the code requirement is dropped which will probably happen before I would be able to learn code anyway even if I were still trying hard.

Jim

P.S.  I wish there was some VHF/UHF PSK-31 activity in my area as I don't have HF privileges.  Packet is dead here.  There are some stations but all you hear are beacons.  Neat mode- nobody to talk to....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.