PSK31 on 2 meters

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KE5KTU, Jul 1, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. KE5KTU

KE5KTU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Ive taken a interest in working digital modes on 2 meters. I found a radio club up in Philly that does digital modes on FM over a repeater. Ive been playing around in simplex calling CQ in Thor and PSK31, Ive found no takers, where would I have better luck frequency wise on the 2 meter band ? Im off the coast of NJ right now calling CQ on PSK31 on 144.144 and haven't heard a peep !

2. KI7YFP

KI7YFP Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a hard time finding any digital signals on 2m. About the only time is during the VHF contests. I barely hear any PSK anytime, even on HF. What I have done is coordinate with members of my local club for practice. You might see if anyone on the repeater can help you.

3. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

Remember that if you run a digital mode like PSK31 over 2M FM, you are not really receiving the weak signal ability of PSK31. You are just sending the PSK tones over a modulated FM carrier. Only one station at a time can transmit, regardless of where you set the waterfall and the sensitivity will be that of FM, not PSK31.

4. KI7YFP

KI7YFP Ham Member QRZ Page

I totally didn't think about the FM bit. If you have the capability, you should do SSB.

5. KE5KTU

KE5KTU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

My thought process is that I’d come closer to finding someone using FM than SSB. At least on FM more people would hear it, plus there are way more FM capable radios out there than SSB on 2 meters.