PSK Reporter, no map background on screenshot.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by 2E0CIT, Sep 10, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone know why when I take a screenshot of the PSK Reporter map with my recent contacts on it, the contacts appear on the screenshot but not the background map?
    It used to be that all appeared OK but now there's no map. (And when I copy and paste it here the background changes from white to black!)
    Windows 10 on a Dell xps-8700.
    73 y'all Jeff
    upload_2021-9-10_19-7-31.png

2. K3UJ

K3UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Which browser are you using?
    Try clearing the browser cache, that usually clears up page load issues.

3. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

In chrome both right-click/save image as and [Shift][PrtScrn] worked fine.

4. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

@2E0CIT

Good Lord! That's one heck of a symptom to troubleshoot. Here's an answer that might actually help you.

You probably have a couple different things going on.

1. What are you using to take a screenshot? The image I see here is a PNG image. I'm not sure why (because I haven't looked at the PNG standard), but PNG backgrounds have always looked strange to me. Something having to do with the "matte" option. Try changing the default image saved when you take a screen shot to something else, like a standardized JPG.

2. What are you using as your web browser that you're taking a screen shot of? There might be some strange interaction happening at the time of the screen shot. I'm thinking changing the saved file from PNG to JPG will probably clear up this strange issue of the background flipping from white to black when you upload it to a web server.

3. I thought I had a 3rd idea, but I forgot what it was as I was typing the above. If I think of it, I'll post it later. But I'm thinking switching from PNG to JPG will solve your issue.

Let me know if this helps.

5. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

I don't depend on my browser (Chrome) to render everything that is on my screen. There are too many ways to display images and backgrounds, even though they are not really part of the copy/paste image. For my screen shots I use IrFanView. Under "Options" there is a "Screen Capture" capability that offers lots of capture options. Once captured, the image can be annotated (text, circles, arrows, etc..) or just saved (multiple save formats).

2E0CIT likes this.
  6. 2E0CIT

Thanks, I'm using Firefox and I just tried Chrome....the same thing happens!

7. 2E0CIT

That works! I pasted the image into Paint and the whole picture appeared including the map background. Prob is I have three monitors so it printed the images of all three!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2021
  8. 2E0CIT

Thanks, but changing the saved file to jpg doesn't work.
    Using the 'print screen' command and pasting to Paint displays the map image correctly, (As mentioned above, I have three monitors so what appears in Paint after the print screen command, etc are the images of all three monitors.) but using the mouse right click and save image command on the PSK screen displays my contacts but no map background.
    The issue is the same whether I use Firefox or Chrome.
    Not a big problem ...but an interesting one!
    73,y'all Jeff

9. 2E0CIT

Used CCleaner to clear the cache, (is that right?) -same problem.

10. 2E0CIT

Thanks Martin! I've downloaded IrfanView, it looks useful, and I'll try it out tomorrow.
    Jeff