psk amd other modes operating picking up.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KA1BSZ, Nov 22, 2020 at 1:44 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KA1BSZ

KA1BSZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have noticed lately that operating psk has picked up in recent weeks as well as olivia,thor and contestia. A few years ago before ft8 was ever thought of, seemed that psk 31 was the king of digital and at times psk 31 sub bands were so crowded, that you had to go to olivia,etc. I live and work in a Vermont hotel and retired now,but we had a bad interference problem here that I to go to my mobile station to operate every day. I had many psk,olivia and cw contacts over past few years. So then late spring of 2016, I started hearing these tones and found out about ft8. Then went back to psk after about year and half and the psk,olivia sub bands were dead! Now that the sunspots are appearing more and more every day,week, the band conditions are getting better and better. I did get rid of the interference problem at the hotel and installed a new antenna,rf chokes,better grounding,changing of fire detection systems,telephone,data networks here has helped. There still always be some kinds of interference, but 75 meters is no longer useless and I can get my radio without fear of setting off alarms or blocking guests tv's. It is a joy to see the bands and modes coming alive again after a period so long of hearing receiver hiss and interference.

W7DAZ and K8XG like this.
  2. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I stopped operating PSK31 several years ago. Not only were contacts fewer and fewer, those OMs you did work just wanted to send you a freaking macro telling you what O/S their computer was running.

Haven't checked in on the mode in a while. Don't even have software set up for it on any of the shack PCs. When I want something like what PSK used to be, I do JS8, which is increasing in activity. :)

VK2WP and N5PAR like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I've only seen that pickup in activity on 20 meters, though. A small handful on 40 meters.

4. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The sun is slowly waking up. I am observing an increase in all modes, PSK31 included. I have been having some nice QSO's on 12M as the bands pick up. Higher spots=more operating. This is good for all bands and all modes. Let's hope it keeps going in the right direction!

5. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

20M seems to be the last outpost. I have had a few nice QSO's there lately - pretty much keyboard chats with a macro thrown in there.

Like any mode the way to get activity is to BE the activity. If people tune there and see nothing - most will not call CQ but turn the dial.

K8XG likes this.
  6. W3ATV

Exactly- might as well run FT8 if you are going to say nothing worth saying. I love the conversational aspect of PSK and RTTY, but only when there is an actual conversation.

WG8Z, VK2WP, KA1BSZ and 2 others like this.
  7. W4NNF

I hadn't been on RTTY...oh...in about 35 years...until recently. Sure was nice not to have to worry about a clattering machine (though I guess I miss my 19 a little). But the problem? Little activity outside contests. Right now, as I said, JS8 is where it's at for text based modes for day-to-day activity. ;)

W3ATV likes this.
  8. W3ATV

I never used RTTY until the AEA PK232 came out. Only dweedle dweedle. No clattering for me :)

KA1BSZ likes this.
  9. W4NNF

I did play around with one of their interfaces with my...Commodore 64 I recall...but at the time I was all about 2-meter packet which was the NEXT BIG THING. :)

W3ATV likes this.
  10. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm watching both PSK31 and Oliva QSOs right now on 20meter on one radio while monitoring JS8 on 40 meters with another.
    I'll put out a few calls later this afternoon. Art

VK2WP and W3ATV like this.