Proud Dad moment! This is a non-controversial thread and ham related!

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WE4B, May 7, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
  1. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Congratulations! You must indeed be proud. She is a QT. I have 6 grandaughters, oldest is 10. They’re my QTs.

WE4B and W2AI like this.
  2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

All great stuff......but there's more! She also gains technical know how of many kinds - y'know, all that STEM stuff - both in theory and practice. (It's one thing to talk about geometry, and another to figure out how satellite orbits work, and where to point the antenna....stuff like that).

And while she may not be formally "studying" for the Extra, there's a lot that she will learn by doing.

It's not over - it's just beginning. If I can ever help with an explanation of something, just start a thread, PM or email.

That's great....and there's a lesson in that.

All too often, I see posts here and elsewhere putting down younger folks in various ways. It should always be remembered that anyone can read these forums....and that the impression they get may have a big influence on how they view Amateur Radio.

73 de Jim, N2EY

KA0USE, WE4B, W5BIB and 1 other person like this.
  3. W2AI

W2AI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This brings back memories when I first started in ham radio back in the late 60s. Many of the adult hams didn't like teenage kids in the hobby back than....sad but true.

I hope that attitude by adult radio amateurs has changed for the better.

WE4B likes this.
  4. W2AI

Charlie, have any of your granddaughters expressed an interest in amateur radio??

5. WZ7U

WZ7U Subscriber QRZ Page

One post at a time my friend, one post at a time.

I, for one, think it's amazing a kid has any interest in something old poofs like me are interested in. But, I still remember being that geeky kid with all the wonder of the magic of radio in my eyes wondering what that crazy electric humming sound was (woodpecker), or what the goofy Donald Duck noise in my SW receiver was, and what the fast paced beeps that went back and forth were and if I could ever be a ham radio operator too. I got on the ham bus 25 years too late @ 33, but managed to learn enough code proficiency to get to Advanced so all is well there. Of course I had to mature a lot in order to have the discipline enough to learn code. Now I just need to mature enough to have the discipline to post on the internet responsibly. :rolleyes:

Like that's ever going to happen ;)

6. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great job well done. And the call is appropriate!

WE4B likes this.
  7. KY5U

KY5U Subscriber QRZ Page

Only one and she's more enamored with talking thank anything. She's 9. Every waking hour of her life is planned. My daughter is a great mom.

Anyway my 7300 has recorded message storage so I let her do a station ID for me. She is very thrilled to hear her message go out over the air.

WE4B and W2AI like this.
  8. W2AI

It was fun back than [in the 60s] as a youngster exposed to wireless radio. The mere thought of communicating over short and long distances using a two way radio. From "walkie-talkies" to CB base station to finally amateur radio was the transition I made into the world of wireless communications. No internet or personal computers existed back then. Had to learn the basics thru "trial and error" but mostly thru error :eek:. There were time I was "inactive" for many years but always returned back to the hobby when I finally purchased my own house. I remember listening to the Ameco 33 1/3 LP vinyl code records to build up my code proficiency to 13 wpm for the General Class exam at the FCC Field Office in NYC. The code came easy to me as I was young teen back than. And we do need more young people in the hobby to keep amateur radio going. And getting on the air and using the spectrum is just as important!:)

9. WE4B

WE4B Subscriber QRZ Page

For the record, DHL delivered a uBITX to my home today so W4AQT will have her first HF rig that she can take on our outdoor adventures once we get it wired-up. It's going to be fun to teach her how to solder. This really is a great hobby (service) for families!

W2AI and WZ7U like this.
  10. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

now, THAT is super cool! best contact bait!