Protocol when changing Call Sign (mostly 2 M)

Discussion in 'On-Air Operations - Q&A' started by KM4UBG, Jan 25, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. KM4UBG

KM4UBG Ham Member QRZ Page

I am thinking of changing over to a vanity call sign and I understand the process for that, but what I am having trouble with is what do I do when calling out on say 2M to those who already know my current call sign or those who may have only heard me a few times. Is there a set amount of time that you use both of them or do you just switch cold turkey and then let people know that you switched? I have tried looking this up, but just keep getting the same old "go hear to change signs" nonsense. So what is the protocol when doing this? Thanks!

2. W4POT

W4POT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Cold Turkey. If people currently know you by "UBG" you might say something like "This is <new callsign> formerly UBG listening" but I think I would avoid using the former callsign in it's entirety over the air in part to avoid confusion about which callsign you are actively using. In my case I would use my first name and say something like "This is <new callsign> Old Ed with a new callsign, who wants to help me break it in?" ;)

KM4UBG likes this.
  3. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You can't really use them both, not from the FCC's perspective. Once they issue your new vanity call the old call ceases to be active nor assigned to you.

Sure, once you're talking to someone it's no problem telling them your old call sign over the air but you shouldn't be calling CQ or calling into repeaters with your old call sign once the new one is issued. The old one isn't yours anymore.

KM4UBG likes this.
  4. KM4UBG

KM4UBG Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks. It makes a lot of sense the way you stated it. Once you are switched the old one is in a way dead to you. Just odd that you can find all the info on how to change calls just not what to do once you do it.

5. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Use your new call only and if you want explain it's a new call and reference the old call during the QSO don't be surprised if people who know you and talk with you often on 2 mtrs will ask you if you just received a new call when they recognize your voice.

W4POT and KM4UBG like this.