Pro's & Con's of a Chromebook.

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by WB0MPB, Dec 5, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

I am looking at getting a Chromebook just to have something a little smaller mainly to use on the internet. I now have a desktop and a 15" laptop and want another computer that works better on my lap. I also have a tablet and a Kindle but I don't like to have to use their keyboards for posting on QRZ. (Plus I want a new toy!!:))
    I have been reading about them but wanted to turn to my friends on QRZ for the good and bad of owning and using a Chromebook.

One specific question I have is I have my financial info on my others and open it with LibreOffice. Will I be able to get an app to be able to open the spread sheet on the Chromebook?

So thanks for any input any of you can give me on the Chromebook.

John, WB0MPB

2. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Volunteer Moderator Life Member Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sure! Just download the Google suite of apps: sheets, slides, words, etc. - for pretty decent compatibility with MS products, for the most part. Any NEW Chromebook will have all of that, and much more, pre-installed ready to log in on first power-up

Just note: a Chromebook is primarily for web/cloud stuff, along with apps from the Google Play store. It's NOT going to support actual .EXE programs designed for i3, i5, i7 etc. processors. Just "apps" and the like, and web stuff.

Dave
    W7UUU

W1TRY likes this.
  3. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Dave for your input. I thought I understood what you said to be the case but I am glad to hear you confirm it.

John, WB0MPB

4. K8ERV

K8ERV Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave is a good guy.

He told me so.

TOM K8ERV Montrose Colo

WB0MPB likes this.