ad: M2Ant-1

Pros and Cons of ICOM 7610

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Equipment Reviews' started by WI8B, Nov 23, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. WI8B

WI8B Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Can anyone provide a list of pros and cons of ICOM 7610?

2. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

K0UO and KA2FIR like this.
  3. KM4ZDM

KM4ZDM Ham Member QRZ Page

As a 7610 owner I can tell you it is a wonderful radio. The only negative is a possible screen issue. Icom is evidently going to cover it out of warranty so there is that. Icom has spent a long time trying to get a new vendor. Personally feel they have/are dragging their feet. I have not had an issue yet after a year or so. If I could purchase again I would buy the 7610 in a heartbeat. Out of the big three it is the best value in the mid tier radio market. Now that the Yaesu 101 and Kenwood 890 have dropped in price either would be another great choice. They are both still more expensive especially when you add filters or a second VC Tune on the 101. Personally feel there are 5 great options or 4 if you absolutely need a second receiver in the mid tier market today. On a side note - I also own the Kenwood 890 and love it! Would buy it again as well. It has amazing audio on RX/TX and love the button layout. They did a really good job designing it. Build quality is superb. Still yet to try the 101, but may add one to the shack to try it. K4 is not out yet I believe, but looks promising from what I saw online. Elecraft is never a cheap option, but performance is usually stellar. You can't make a bad decision it is all a personal decision based on features, cost, and brand loyalty.

Mid Tier Options
    Icom 7610
    Yaesu FTDX101D or MP
    Elecraft K4
    Kenwood 890
    Flex model's

4. N0WBA

N0WBA Ham Member QRZ Page

Im currently researching the 7610 - 890s - flex 6400, if the 7610 didnt have the potential display issue my search would be over...that said there are lots to like about that radio

5. KX4QC

KX4QC Ham Member QRZ Page

As a 7610 owner, I absolutely love it. Great rig. Yes, I heard about the display issue, but also that it pertained to a single batch used early in production. I have had no such issue and no other user I know has either, though I don't doubt the accounts we all read.
    In short, the 7610 is a remarkable all-rounder, interfacing so easily with just a single USB cable to Linux or Mac. Can't say that the manuals are quite as friendly as the rig, but with the Raditoday Guide To The Icom IC-7610 by Andrew Barron ZL3DW or the friendly web help from Rich K0PIR, it's really no problem at all. Everything is in the manuals and Icom publications, but I'm too dimwitted to easily find what I'm looking for.
    One very definite the IC-7610! It's way more radio than the also fine 7300.

6. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had three different
    7610s so far. A very early one no problems, my two current models are mid serial numbers and very new.
    Absolutely no problems with any of them I think the screen issue is way behind them and was eay overblown, Icom, guarantees to everyone that they will continue to fix any problems.
    You could also plug in a big display no drivers needed.
    It's a great time to be a ham there's so many good radios out there.
    Using one or both rigs daily a had made
    thousands of QSO's.
    The 7610 receiver performance is better than my IC 7800, Kenwood 990, Flex 6700 and Ft 5000. The reason I had two is that I'm currently using diversity receive exclusively now with the 7610s and I set one on each band that I plan to use.
    I have a lot of antennas and using Icom's diversity function is a real game changer.
    It is winner
    Have fun

Last edited: Feb 7, 2020
  7. KX4QC

KX4QC Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, indeed. (Pse pardon my tryping errors and misprunts above.) The diversity capability is a lot of fun with multiple antennas, but the connections to the 7610 are also useful for including phased noise reduction, or even just safely sharing a main antenna. -And it's all surprisingly easy. It's fun to think of other uses too. There's lots of online help from other users, but I had trouble understanding the possibilities from the Icom manuals.
    The receivers are spectacular: quiet, sensitive and impressively selective. People say all manner of wonderful things about the Airspy HF+, and rightly, but the 7610 HF is clearly in a class above.
    It seems almost ill-mannered to mention a gripe, but there are just a few, and none very important. The 7610 is also a fine general coverage receiver; I enjoy broadcast and utility DX with it. Outside the amateur bands, the variable bandwidth waterfall works fine but the whole-band panadapter just bleats that it is out of range. Also out of range (but why?) are the Digi-sel preselector, and the auto-tuner when used with the GENE button.
    Occasionally I like to use the screen capture utility, but wouldn't it be nice if it could be moved from the POWER button?
    The audio recording works very well to plugin media, but there is no easy way to play back an audio quality sample for guidance during a QSO. Ok, there's always fldigi etc to fill this function, but the 7610 is so good that it is tempting to nit-pick.
    I was particularly lucky to get my 7610 as a full warranty "open-box" item; it is pricey otherwise.
    There's no free lunch -or 7610, for good reason.

K0UO likes this.
  8. AA4MY

AA4MY Ham Member QRZ Page

I've owned two 7610s before picking up a 7851, and had the following thoughts:
    1) if you win the display lottery, you're set.
    2) check to make sure your ADC heatsinks are properly attached. some early serial number units had heatsinks that may have come loose during shipping.

I regret selling both and would absolutely own one again (if I hadn't upgraded).

The Icom TX bandpass is only 3khz, if you are interested in ESSB you'll want to look at another unit.
    The device drivers for CAT and audio via USB work flawlessly. I/Q out was implemented via a second USB interface and works without event with HDSDR.
    The spectrum scope will run 30fps solid. The 7851 does about 29.3fps, and its cut in half with dual watch enabled.
    The LAN support with IC-RS-BA1 version 2 is fantastic. Both scopes are visible at full speed remotely, and the audio stream is more resilient to poor band conditions than on my Flex 6700.

I've had really good service from the Icom Service Center in Michigan; getting a display replaced isn't that big of a deal. Put it in a box and ship it away for a few weeks.

K0UO likes this.