Proposed WWV, WWVH Shutdown in the 2019 US Budget

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N3LRX, Aug 18, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N3LRX

N3LRX Ham Member QRZ Page

Hey guys, QST!

I don't know if there has been a petition brought up here before or not. I didn't find anything in a brief search. But a WWV/WWVH shutdown will affect us all as hams, swl's, and Harry homeowner too.

If you haven't heard, in the 2019 US budget they have proposed to shutdown WWV and WWVH. As you know this is very important to us. You all understand the benefits and importance of these stations here so I probably don't need to explain much more.

I just found out about this, and I hope it's not too late to stop it.

I created a White House petition to possibly prevent this from happening. Please digitally sign this petition!

All you need is a name and a valid email address to sign. It will email you to confirm and you're done!

We need at least 100,000 signatures (the more the merrier) between now and Sept. 17th 2018 for the White House to consider this petition. Time is ticking for WWV!

I know this will affect me because I use WWV often, all my clocks other than computers, are also radio controlled and I'd hate to lose that convenience.

The petition is located here:

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/proposed-shutdown-nists-wwv-and-wwvh-radio-stations

Here is the article on the NIST website:

https://www.nist.gov/fy-2019-presid...entific-and-technical-research-and-services-2

TNX for signing, GL to us all.
    de RAndy, N3LRX/8

2. HB9FUH

HB9FUH Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a thread about this literally eight conversations below this one (at time of writing).

3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Plus another long thread in the Amateur Radio News forum.

4. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Is this the only thread with a petition to save WWV / WWVH ?

5. W4ZD

W4ZD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the point is important. Maybe even important enough to warrant multiple threads. :)

6. NN4RH

No. The petition was mentioned in both of the other threads already days ago.

WD3N likes this.
  7. NN4RH

Maybe even important enough to actually read the threads, and avoid confusing things by posting outdated information ?

WZ7U likes this.
  8. NN4RH

And it probably won't be the last thread on this topic, either. There's always stragglers out there who run up to about two weeks behind the rest of us.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2018
  9. WD3N

WD3N Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the reply.
    I don't read the threads all the way through when they start to get ...ummm polluted .:rolleyes::)

WD8ED and KK5JY like this.
  10. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Surely a good petition writer needs to explain why he or she believes that keeping "atomic clocks" going is a valid government entitlement.

Maybe suggest some sort of voucher program where anyone affected by this gets some financial assistance to buy a new clock. This would be similar what happened with the analog to digital TV conversion.