ad: chuckmartin

Proposed Shortwave Broadcast Station Prompts Objection

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by W0PV, Jul 9, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. VE4MM

VE4MM Ham Member QRZ Page

Shortwave has been falling for many decades.

This is good news and will create jobs.

W1YW likes this.
  2. KG5RJU

KG5RJU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems responders have generally missed the point. The protest is regarding using DRM for these data streams, not some other mode of transmission. DRM must be non-commercial and decodable by the public. I think this is the point of the protest.

R Pepper/ KG5RJU

3. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No, didn't m
    Nope. Didn't miss the point. A waiver can be granted in that case. No 'must' , but 'should'.

Defining what it means by 'public' is the issue.

My QUOTREK was 'public' but not universal.
    [​IMG]

4. KF0G

KF0G Ham Member QRZ Page

the problem is that "the greedy folks" want to get their trades in before the others, thus gaining financial advantage.
    that is the whole point. direct radio waves @ C is faster than fiber optic laser signal bouncing off the sides of the fiber @ C,
    it's a shorter path. C=speed of light

it's some BS people who want to make (more) money.

i will refrain from ranting about the den of inequity we live in.

W4HM likes this.
  5. KB4MC

KB4MC Ham Member QRZ Page

Does anyone really listen to these stations anymore? Mostly Religion.

6. K3FHP

K3FHP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

To me, HFT is little different than Insider Trading as those who control the algorithm have unfail advantage.....they can crash markets(sometimes by accident) and notion's economies. Makes the 'Little People', most everybody, fearful of the market. That aside, seems they sought license as a SW Broadcaster vs a data communications service. What do they know that we don't that they are investing big bucks for an alternative to phone line and internet service? This seems a very inefficient and expensive way to do this unless something else is afoot.

WQ4G, KA2FIR and W4HM like this.
  7. W4HM

W4HM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It could kinda sorta be like an insider trading thing from a moral perspective but not?!

8. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

No.

We all understand the codeword 'greed' in the context of capitalism. It is the darling word choice of the far left right now. Keep politics out of this please.

Hedge funds --and it is indeed hedge funds that are running this--aren't competing on the kind of movements in stocks and equities you and I would pursue. ALMOST ALWAYS they are looking at small deviations in prices from modeling ---that are then scooped up or dumped. By analogy, they are making a banquet out of crumbs based on large volumes in day trading.

Back in the days of on-floor trading, these same activities were done by 'market makers'. That was their title. The concept and execution is neither unique, new, nor 'predatory'.

I don't live in a den of 'iniquity'. And I for one don't want to be lectured on 'inequity'.

Chip W1YW

9. W0PV

W0PV Ham Member QRZ Page

An explanatory video from MITRE, lots of hams working there too, sponsor of club station W1ON. :)

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
    KX4O and W1YW like this.
  10. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

..across the street from FRACTAL.

11. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Near IDC in Bedford? Stayed in motel next store when visiting home office.

12. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep.

The soul of the area is a restaurant called Bamboo. Nerd-vana.

Am the largest tenant in that building.

13. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you are underestimating the effect that MONEY has on the situation. Everything and everyone has a price - including those charged with running the FCC and Government. I assure you there are many people out there (including those in Government) who would sell their Mother into slavery for another Billion dollars.

Silly and unnecessary excursion into exclusive Part 97 allocations? That depends on how much MONEY is at stake, the 'risk vs. reward' analysis, and who they believe might be watching. Making $50 Billion, for some, is neither silly or unnecessary. And, paying $500 Million in fines to make $50 Billion in profit is a pretty 'brain dead' decision for most CEOs. Especially, in light of the fact that they will never have to 'admit guilt.'

Concerning HFT... I believe the issue that some have with HFTing centers around the concept of 'fairness' and the way that the HFTers make their billions. Which is by leveraging the latency of the old system to lead orders (yours and mine) put into the system. Many claim that HFTing adds liquidity into the markets - which would be good. But, the liquidity only lasts for a few seconds at best because most orders put into the system, by the HFTers, are canceled within a few seconds of being input and are only there to manipulate the stock price.

Dan WQ4G

KR3DX likes this.
  14. WQ4G

WQ4G Ham Member QRZ Page

?

Capitalism, if left unregulated, would have you living under a bridge, eating tree bark, and drinking from mud puddles.

There has been real human tragedy, in the past, caused by 'trading for capitalist gain.' There are plenty of Capitalists out there that are both harmful AND predatory. Need an example - take a look at China...

Dan WQ4G

WA5VGO, KR3DX and KA5KAB like this.
  15. W1YW

W1YW Ham Member QRZ Page

Wireless was founded in no small way on remote stock trading (see below).

Nothing new here, and objecting to the activity on political--that is economic systems of social government-- grounds is irrelevant to whether it meets the needs of few or many.

For example, many folks HERE are sitting around enjoying their entitlements/ pensions. Many of these have their own hedge fund components, or piggy back on extant hedge funds. So I submit to those with pension fund checks coming in:ask yourself if high speed trading--HFT or otherwise-- contributes (or will contribute) to those paychecks.

IOW for many you the 'YOU ARE MAKING MILLIONS'-- is YOU the leisure geriatric class.

And you've got the trading thing wrong. The SPEED of transactions is higher (marginally) with HFT but there are still hundreds and thousands of trades in a day. Nothing new there at all. HFT levels the field so that latency does not impede the hedge funds that pay your (many of you) pension checks.

HFT is not using Part 97 allocations. End of story.

The origin of wireless commercial service started mostly on sea going vessels--and that dates before the Titanic. This was done not to pass messages back to 'loved ones' (a secondary use), but to wirelessly enable stock trades.

Fixed wireless in its early stages could not compete with cable transmission in the accuracy of stock trading, because the propagation links were poor.. Ships showed the way.

HFT is basically the ultimate solution to the cable issue (whether copper or glass).

IOW a century+ later, wireless beats cable. An interesting age old battle that few here even knew existed.

Chip W1YW

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020