Proposed Changes to QRZ Swapmeet Rules

Discussion in 'Swapmeet Talk' started by AA7BQ, Jun 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KA3TJI

KA3TJI Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree! This is a pet peeve of mine. I don't give a damn about a seller's cost of doing business, I only care about the final cost I am willing to pay. This nonsense is the same as sellers on eBay charging stupidly high shipping to avoid fees. It's against PayPal's ToS and is simply unethical. If a person is willing to cheat PayPal, will they cheat me? When selling an item I factor in fees for shipping as well as PayPal and list the item "Delivered to your door" so the buyer knows exactly what the cost will be. Like tariffs, the customer ultimately pays all costs of doing business so there's no need for them to know how much it costs to sell an item. If you don't like PayPal's rules don't use the service.

2. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

the following has been said a zillion times, including in the zed guidelines about PayPal.

Just include the fee in the price of the item. How hard is that? Say you have an item that you want $500. The PayPal fee would be $15.30. List the item at $520, then there is no silliness about upcharging.

In reality, especially on smaller items asking for the upcharge seems extremely petty. I'm not interested in dealing with petty people.

3. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

In regard to PayPal, I don't do it anymore. Not because of bad buyers or fees or any of that.

First, they pestered me for my Social Security number. I didn't give it to them. Then, they asked for a copy of my driver license. I suspect the excuse is that PayPal is acting as a bank and they are entitled to my information. I don't use them as a bank, I used them to facilitate a transaction.

They ended up freezing my account since I didn't give up my personal information. It also seems random who they ask for more personal information. I know many people who have not been asked for ID or SSN. I wasn't a big time seller or buyer either.

Fortunately, there was no money in my account. It can stay frozen for all I care. It's sometimes inconvenient to not have PayPal, but they aren't entitled to my personal information, which unlike the zed, will NOT be destroyed.

4. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

As in all things, YMMV or Your Mileage May Vary with this approach.

PayPal has had all of my info, SSN, everything, for the past 20 years. Am I worried? No. Why did they need my SSN? Because on occasion, they may need to issue a 1099 and that's it. Since they may have to issue a 1099 then they need the SSN in advance of turning over any of your cash to you. Your issue therefore is with the Tax Code, and not with PayPal.

You can argue that you'll never need the 1099, but then you'd be howling at the moon, and unable to receive any money.

73, -fred

5. WX7P

WX7P Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not howling at anything. I've made my decision and it's final. You're entitled to disagree. I don't see any reason to further discuss the issue as I've made up my mind.

N6ATF and WZ7U like this.
  6. VE3OSY

VE3OSY Ham Member QRZ Page

I agree with the proposed changes, as long as everyone is verified the transactions should be secure..as well as they can be.

Pictures are a necessity , and adding the call sign in the picture is just good practice

7. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks! It's always nice to be entitled to something, except maybe a prison sentence.

Like I said, YMMV.

73 -fred

8. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Shame On The Moon"

Until you've been beside a man
    You don't know what he wants
    You don't know if he cries at night
    You don't know if he don't
    When nothin comes easy
    Old nightmares are real
    Until you' ve been beside a man
    You don't know how he feels

Once inside a woman's heart
    A man must keep his head
    Heaven opens up the door
    Where angels fear to tread
    Some men go crazy
    Some men go slow
    Some men go just where they want
    Some men never go

Oh blame it on midnight
    Ooh shame on the moon

Everywhere it's all around
    Comfort in a crowd
    Strangers faces all around
    Laughin right out loud
    Hey watch where your goin
    Step light on old toes
    Cause until you've been beside a man
    You don't know who he knows

Oh blame it on midnight
    Ooh shame on the moon
    Oh blame it on midnight
    Ooh shame on the moon

Sorry couldn't resist.

I too have had PP for 20 years, at least, and never had a problem but DO know some who PP really screwed with and can certainly understand their sentiments.

9. K3VPJ

K3VPJ Ham Member QRZ Page

OK Fred-Round 2 on your forum comments. This time lets talk alittle about the beloved PAYPAL. Members beware Paypal is a real joke. OVer 3 years ago I got my baptism on the use of Paypal and the scams they run on behalf of buyers using their system. My story for all members is as follows:
    My wife and I advertised an item that was worth over 2500.00 via Ebay and attached at the hip Paypal as the payment transaction. The item was dully shipped after I had received payment. Within 2 weeks thereafter the buyer withdrew payment authority claiming they never received the item. Paypal took their action to withdraw funds from the bank against my objection. I had proof of delivery by signature not withstanding. I alerted the US Postal service of the scam and an investigation began. The buyer got their money back and I was out 2500.00. The postal service showed where the item had been received by another person who had signed for it at the same address as where the item was sent. Paypal and Ebay would not recognize the investigative results and after well over 300 phone calls between me and different paypal reps (Which I had a detailed record of) I threatened to file a lawsuit against paypal to block what they tried to do against the seller (me). They finally backed down after 2 years since I hired a nationally recognized lawyer who goes after companies like Paypal who ride roughshod over consumers of their service. Not only that, guess where the item we sold ended up. I found out with proof that it was placed in a US postal service local auction wherein the person who purchased it was related to the same individual that had originally purchased the item from me. Further, they purchased the item at the auction for 500.00 plus paypal gave them their original purchase price back and absorbed the financial hit instead of making me repay the money I had gotten in the first place. The only reason Paypal backed off was because they did not want the national publicity of what had transpired in this case. So fellow hams: beware using payment methods like Paypal they are not your friend when it comes to the money transaction. I can write a book on Ebay as well. They are not your friend either. Pay only with money orders and the other good old way when it comes to selling or buying stuff

Jim K3VPJ

Please kill my website access I do not choose to play the game your way!

10. K3EY

K3EY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

THIS

Almost identical thing happened to a vendor and good friend I know when I was at the airline. He too took a big hit and was castrated by paypal for over 6K. He took the loss and never used PayPal again. Like I said, PayPal is not all happy endings and sweet love stories, it just isn’t.

I use them but ONLY for low cost items/service.