Proposed Change for 2020 ARRL FD Rules

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K8ZT, Apr 4, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. K8ZT

K8ZT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Classes V & X

I propose that the ARRL add two new categories to FD for this year.

1. Class V-

1. A club with 3 or members

2. Would use one callsign as chosen by group (either a club callsign or callsign of one of participating stations) for all stations

3. Operating from multiple home or portable stations all located within a 50-mile circle.

4. All station would be required to use emergency power

5. Only one signal at a time on any one band/mode combination i.e. 40M CW, 80M PH, 40 DIGI, etc.

6. Maximum stations on at the same time would give number i.e. 5V, 2V, etc.

7. Power multiplier would be based on the highest power used by any station during the FD period

8. No duplicate contact on same band/mode even if made by a station at a different home location

9. Computer access via conventional power, internet services are allowed for purposes of networking and/or coordinating station operations

10. Possible extra bonus points

1. 100 point bonus for utilizing VHF/UHF to maintain interstation communication net

2. 100 point bonus for utilizing Non-commercial Internet connections between two or more station locations utilizing ham radio frequency-based only systems such as Mesh, ARDEN, etc.
    2. Class X

1. Same as Class V except stations may utilize non-emergency power sources

Anthony Luscre, K8ZT

2. W4HWD

W4HWD Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I clicked on this thinking it was actual proposed rule changes, not a convoluted wish list.

I’m glad it makes sense to you cuz I don’t understand any of it or see any point in it.

K1OIK, K3XR, W7EDC and 2 others like this.
  3. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, I could simplify what he's asking for. Assuming things are still the way they are at the end of June, a club could operate transmitters at differing locations, all using the club call sign, and quality for the normal class--say 3A or whatever, they'd normally enter as.

It's an idea...but I would hope it's one we won't need. ;)

W4HWD likes this.
  4. W4HWD

NNF,

Your explanation makes way better sense.

So...it looks like an effort to bring "social distancing" to Field Day?

If that's the case everyone just run 1C or whatever from home with their own calls.

KX4O, K4AGO and ND6M like this.
  5. W4NNF

Well, 1D or 1E, I believe it would need to be. :)

Anyhow...I hope it doesn't come to that. We cancelled our (Mobile) hamfest....and I really, really want Field Day to happen. :(

6. KA8NCR

KA8NCR Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes.

There isn't the multi-op club participation. I wouldn't spend an entire weekend on Field Day if it were not for the club.

I think the OP presents interesting possibilities just with the challenge of logging and deduplication.

7. W4NNF

Me neither. Just wouldn't be the same. If I were by myself from home, I'd no doubt do a few, but it wouldn't be an all-night marathon, that's for sure. ;)

8. W4HWD

One time, about 28 years ago, when I was a member of Transylvania County ARC, we set up a special event station at Devils Courthouse up on the parkway on Halloween. It started snowing about the time we started running, so we all beat it back down to drier ground. Three of us continued the event at our separate home stations on different bands, using the same call. So, I guess it could work.

9. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I suggest this for this year only:

1) No new operating categories.

2) New scoring category: "Club Aggregate"

3) Stations operate and report scores independently under their own callsigns and categories. On the summary sheet, each entry indicates their club/group affiliation.

3) Club/group FD official sends in list of stations identified as club/group.

4) Scores of all entries for a club/group are added to compute the aggregate score, just as in ARRL DX contests.

5) Stations must all be within 175 mile circle, same as ARRL DX contest.

6) Stations do not have to be members of club nor in the same ARRL section BUT must be on the club list for score to be included.

7) All stations can work all other stations for FD credit.

N2SR, K8BZ and WA6MHZ like this.
  10. WA4BRL

WA4BRL Ham Member QRZ Page

I like your ideas with the exception of numbers 6 & 7. These seem to allow for "manufacturing" contacts among the club stations to boost the club score.

I'd suggest requiring:

6) ALL stations in the club aggregate be actual club members in good standing

7) No contacts among the "Club Aggregrate" stations count for points.

W4NNF and WA6MHZ like this.