Proposal that would have required lighting and marking of short towers revised.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Oct 10, 2018 at 5:45 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. W9RLG

W9RLG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes I know what you are saying!! I have a private pilots license and know the ag guys around here and yes they don't fly lower than 500 feet when in transit. the area where I live is not congested. The most aircraft I ever see is the Life Flight helicopters going to and from the hospital and that might only be a couple times a week. Private acft maybe a couple a month except crop season and that is only in July/August time frame. Around here where I live you are more likely to hit a deer with your car than and acft hitting a tower or wires.

Bob

2. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Nevertheless, this revision is no guarantee that we're 100% in the clear:
    "The remainder of such towers in rural or agricultural areas lower than 200 feet need to only be included in an FAA-maintained database, which will be updated by the owners of such towers."

Whatever that is supposed to mean... every tower or mast over 50' will have to be registered with the FAA? If yes, is a fee involved?

We'll still need to watch closely for any proposed FAA rules.

3. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes, we should watch closely. But I suspect that ham towers will be 100% non-affected.

There are a number of exceptions in the law:

1) Urban / semi urban areas
    2) Non-agricultural areas
    3) Towers near buildings
    4) Towers in the curtilage of a farm

and finally, if none of those apply,

5) Towers that are under 200' and included in a FAA maintained database.

The fifth option only comes into effect if the first 4 do not apply. The vast majority of ham towers will be excluded from the law by (1) through (4).