Proposal that would have required lighting and marking of short towers revised.

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K4KYV, Oct 10, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

KG5VK and N2EY like this.
  2. KB7QPS

KB7QPS Ham Member QRZ Page

This is good news.

With modern GPS capabilities both in aircraft and on-ground uses, there is no reason why a database of towers cannot be used in lieu of tower marking requirements.

Not only are painted red and white towers pretty ugly, their lights in the evening are also a blemish on the night sky. From an architectural standpoint, it makes no sense to mandate visual markings if crop dusters can use tower databases instead.

Also, no plane other than crop dusters fly at 200 feet. And crop dusters only fly that low during either training or professional work. It is not like having to load a database prior to the days flight is a hindrance.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like you are not a pilot.

Why do you assume that GPS always works? Why do you think "databases" are accurate? Why do you think every plane has a GPS in it?

Towers are marked on aeronautical charts. Paper charts. Good enough.

WN6U, KK5JY and N0TZU like this.
  4. K4KYV

My acreage is zoned agricultural, but the farmer who leases my cropland doesn't use crop-dusters, and no-one else has permission to fly crop-duster planes over my property.

The nearby army base flies helicopters over this area at low altitudes all the time, but my tower is well marked on aeronautical charts. No mishaps in the 37 years since I put it up.

N2EY likes this.
  5. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a light tower on my disk duplicator here.

Nobody complains.
    [​IMG]

KA3CTQ likes this.
  6. K4KYV

Thankfully, this legislation was revised before the proposed new rules were codified into regulations.

7. N4OGW

N4OGW Ham Member QRZ Page

Even a database of 50-200 ft towers seems silly. For example in my neighborhood (which is not too far from a small airport) there are many trees that are 50-200 feet tall, and quite a few that are taller than my 100' tower.

Tor
    N4OGW

8. KA2RRK

KA2RRK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

So long as every Amateur Radio Service Cheif operator can install a 199 ft tower who cares if it
    requires lights, paint, or for that matter a observation platform? So long as we can get a antenna up to
    a workable height for intended wavelength of operation.

I am more worried about this kind of posting.

20150921070311.jpg

KA2RRK

KA2RRK

9. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, from their own article:

Senator Inhofe — himself a pilot — was of the view that the 2016 legislation was excessive and that exemptions should exist for both broadcast and Amateur Radio antennas and support structures. “We worked with our close allies at the National Association of Broadcasters (NAB), [who were] afraid that this legislation would have a large adverse effect on short broadcast towers,” Imlay recounted. “We also worked with the Association of American Railroads, which has hundreds of short towers along rail lines in rural areas that would have been affected.”​

I suspect it was the members of the NAB, and especially the railroads who were the weight behind this. Money talks.

Additionally, Mr. Inhofe's activity as a pilot keeps him keenly aware of controlling costs associated with aviation. His efforts were key in the 3rd class medical certification reform a few years ago.

I appreciate Mr. Imlay's involvement in this, but given the significant financial interests involved, the outcome was arguably inevitable.

WD4IGX likes this.
  10. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

GPS info is in NO WAY a substitute for seeing something. I am guessing you have never done low altitude flying.
    N3HGB
    commercial pilot